A moderate priced dac

I borrowed a musical fidelity tri vista 21 dac from a friend and I was very impressed with the sound compared to my parasound p5 pre. This dac is over 10 years old. Has the technology changed enough that a moderately price dac can compete?Any suggestions?
audiomaze
Schitt Audio go there look at the DAC’s they have and pic a Multibit DAC and enjoy.
I have a Grungnir mb and am very impressed. I say Multi bit as its really quite organic sounding IMO compared to the delta sigma DAC’s.

Bifrost is right in the middle of your price range. I’m very impressed so far with Schiit products and customer service. I believe its a better DAC then an older DAC that’s was much more money when new, IMO. not to mention older DAC's may not have the connections you need let alone a good usb input for upgradability and interfacing with other digital equipment.

https://www.schiit.com/products/bifrost-1

The Schiit Modi 3 is an awesome bare bones DAC.
Pay more money if that is important to you one way or another.
But you may be very surprised by this one,
A excellent natural sounding dac Audio mirror, and has 
a Lot of options.$1500 and up is very good especially 
for a vacuum tubedac  and madein U.S.A.
If you want a dac that would compete with dacs under $10k for features and sound, look at the ps audio DS jr. what other dac is fpga based, has Ethernet built in, is a Roon endpoint, can hook up directly to an amp (does sound better thru a preamp though), has i2s inputs, and you get free firmware upgrades twice a year that can add functionality (like MQA) and improves the sound quality. Plus, it sounds fantastic. I owned 1 for a while but moved up to the DS sr.