Great musicians who should have been famous except....

I'm throwing this out there as an example. My 16 yr old aspiring drummer son asked me if I had anything in the vinyl collection tonight... apparently the U Tube video tutorials finally got boring. He is really good and practices non stop but it was refreshing when he asked about ideas for sound. In a moment of 30 years past clarity I put on the B side of Van Halen 1984… Is Alex Van Halen the most under rated rock drummer of all time? And is there a better lead in to ANY rock vinyl side than that???
telemarcer

Naw Wolf, Richie Hayward was a musician, not a mere technician, which is on what basis so many judge a drummer’s abilities. Like I said, as if drumming is an athletic activity, not an artistic one.

By the way, the last time Levon Helm performed in L.A. (at The House Of Blues), Richie got up on stage with Levon and his band (and his daughter Amy, who was singing) and played drums on one song. The love, respect, and admiration of each for the other was obvious. When Levon's autobiography was released, he did a book-signing at Book Soup on Sunset (directly across the street from Tower Records). As I waited in line to have my copy signed, I sensed a commotion behind me. Turning around, I saw Ringo Starr walking up along the line, "taking cuts" to get to the desk where sat Levon. Nobody objected, of course ;-) . 

I never liked anything from the Moody Blues, but as with most working Rock and Roll musicians coming up through the 70s who saw a Little Feat show you'd think, man, that's an astonishing friggin' drummer. Feat were worshipped by Zep and many others, were considered the hottest live American band in their day, and Richie was a big part of their utterly "funky space age" sound.
I saw Little Feat live in Baltimore before Lowell George passed - man what a show - they were my favs back then still have all the albums w/Lowell.  Also saw the great Roy Buchanan live a couple times in the DC area.  
I've never been a huge Moody Blues fan, but I saw them two or three years ago (maybe longer) in Portland (OR) and they put on a great show. They rocked a lot harder than they do on their records. 
The late Terry Kath! Who played on the first five Chicago records and impressed Jimi Hendrix! Sadly now long gone!