Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
tomthiel, 

What is your opinion of the PX05 passive crossover wen used with the 2.7s and SS2.2?      (Bryston 4B cubed amplifier)

george

George - I use PX02 and PXO5 crossovers rigged for each model. They create an inverse of the roll-off characteristics of the speaker, therefore creating an ideal match by definition. That solution was patented. It seems to my ear to work very well. I have never heard better integrated bass, and it seemed to get high marks from reviewers. There are issues of amp noise and repairability. 

Performance issues remain. One function of subwoofers is to increase the speakers' output. We run out of bass excursion first because we seek to tune the enclosure as low as possible. The PXO doesn't increase the system output limit, but only adds the missing low frequencies. Someone on this forum has an Integrator, which does increase output by allowing a higher crosspoint to be chosen. I want one.

There are also questions begging in the phase domain, since the reflex bottom rolloff approaches 4th order. (The Stereophile graphs look more like 3rd order 18dB/octave.) My admittedly shallow understanding is that the high-order crossover will create ringing, which Thiel speakers go to great lengths to avoid at the higher crosspoints. I don't hear artifacts and wonder if the ear might be less sensitive to phase anomalies in the low bass. Perhaps others might comment on that problem; ideas welcome.

I am not familiar with the SmartSub 2.2, and haven't seen any reviews of x.2 subs. I don't know much about the development history of the subs, being after my time. Might the .2 designation be New Thiel? My SS1 and SS2s have Jim's (again patented) room boundary interface, which works very well to set the proper level based on proximity to walls. I have experimented with 1 vs 2 subwoofers and found noticeable improvement with 2. The 2-series crosses over in the high forties where directionality is thought to be hard to hear. But it seems to my ear that directionality is an issue. I would choose 2 SS1s over 1 SS2. 
tom,

Thank you!

My PX05 came configured for the Thiel 2.7 speakers.

My SS2.2 has the same room adjustments as the SS2. I'm aware of the speaker output issue; however, haven't had to worry about it, as I play classical CDs at a reasonable level. (The only comments I get are from my neighbors if I crank up the Verdi Requiem or Berloiz' Te Deom or Requiem.) 

My basic reason for asking:  My children will "inherit"the two-channel stereo system; but they are more into other types of music, and had asked me if the crossover and sub would be "up to it!"  I believe I can tell them "Yes - - as long as you keep the volume at a civilized level."

I'm content with the present setup, but would like to add another sub - - if I could find a decent one in working order. The SS2 series  apparently  are scarce. 

Thank you again,

george

brayeagle,
What frequency do you cross over from your Thiel 2.7s to your sub?