Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
hi Tom,   i went into my archives and found this.  not sure if he is still in biz or anything else about him at this point.  he did service and update my unit.  here is a copy of the invoice.  this is from March 2006

Subject: Sony SCD-1/SCD-777ES Mod prices.

Reply-To: [email protected]

Organization: Audiomod

All of the modifications I perform are designed to widen and deepen the sound stage

and improve imaging. The clarity, detail and transparency are greatly improved. These

changes effect both CD and SACD modes.

Note: All of the modifications listed below can be installed separately.

Pick only one clock to use in your machine. Use 1 or 2, not both.

1. Audiocom Super Clock 3 $295 parts $50 labor.
  2. LC Audio X-03 Clock $260 parts $50 labor.
  3. Audio Board Black Gate Capacitor Upgrade $370 parts $150 labor.
  4. Audio Board Resistor Upgrade using Vishay S102 resistors $475 parts $150 labor or using Caddock TFO20 $330 parts $150 labor.
  5. Transport Board Black Gate Capacitor Upgrade $100 parts $200 labor.
  6. Audio Board OP Amp Upgrade using Burr Brown OPA627 $233 parts $50 labor.
  7. Audio Board Regulator Upgrade using Audiocom Super Regulators $425 parts $100 labor.
  8. Power Supply Board Black Gate Capacitor Upgrade $450 parts $100 labor.
  9. Power Supply Regulator Upgrade using Audiocom Super Regulators $255 parts $100 labor.
  10. Audio Consulting CD Output Transformer Upgrade (steel core) $540 parts $200 labor.
  11. Audio Consulting CD Output Transformer Upgrade (ferrite core) $1000 parts $200 labor.
  12. Optional power supply for the Audiocom Super Clock or LC Audio Clock $295 parts $100 labor.
  13. Power Transformer shielding for the SCD-777ES $20 parts $20 labor.
  14. The complete modification package with Audiocom SC3, Super Clock Power Supply, Steel          CD Transformers, Vishay Resistors,  $5098 parts and labor.

All of the above parts take one week to obtain from my parts suppliers.

Check out the reviews of my modifications on the web at www.AudioAsylum.com

www.audiogon.com & www.positive-feedback.com

Audiomod

Richard Kern

4390 SE Mark Kelly CT.

Oak Grove, OR. 97267

503 659-6599

503 490-8602

ronkent
An excellent blast from the past! There were quite a few guys modding the SCD-1. It would be interesting to learn the one(s) still around?
Happy Listening!

tomthiel
I would add Dan Wright of ModWright to the list as well.  Keep us posted here.  Happy Listening!
Anybody have any experience with the PowerPlane 1.2?  I want to set up some rear channels and I'm probably never going to have the space for rear floorstanders.  I know the powerpoints got more press but I'm wondering if the in-walls are sonically comparable.   They seem to be available more often and for better prices.  
Speaking of Bryston, I used to own the 4B ST mostly to have a reference SS amp.  It was a real work-horse and powered many speakers I had in my room, both when reviewing or otherwise.  I have always felt I wanted to hear the general character of a speaker by using an SS amp - the speaker maximally under control as it were.  But always, every time, I preferred the sound once I switched back to tubes, especially my CJ Premier 12s.  Eventually I sold the Bryston because I didn't really need it anymore, the CJ seemed to control anything I put on them, and gave me that tube amp sound I seem to crave.