5A Vandersteen

I am finding it a near-tragedy that this loudspeaker has been discontinued. It is/was a masterpiece (in my opinion), and was "near-affordable" for many. There are many great speakers to choose from, and this one was near the top. I have a pair, and mourn the loss.
rpeluso
@johnto 

I think that's one of the problems with audio, it's becoming a hobby of exclusion due to crazy prices.

I have to disagree.  I don't think there's ever been a better time to get high-value & performance at a reasonable price than today. Look at the Bluenode 2i at less than $500 or a PrimaLuna Prologue Premium integrated amp new at $2,300 as some examples.  Just because a high-end/ultra-high performance market exists does not mean hifi is a hobby of exclusion by any means.  That's like saying that because a 2019 Porsche 911S now costs over $115K that buying cars has become something only the ultra-rich can afford. 
and for $3k you can get that carbon tweeter in the VLR-Sig
add a sub later

affordable audio is amazing, lots of great gear out there without spending mega bucks...
I’ve been running the 5A’s for a few years, and they are keepers. Definitely would go to Vandy 7’s if finances allow one day, although I’d have to go second hand, almost certainly, and it’s hard to imagine anyone upgrading from them.  Might be along wait, but things are great in the meantime. 
I've have always felt like the Quatros were the best value in the line, especially the Woods (CT or ceramic tweeter).  I am using mine with an Audiokinesis SWARM subwoofer array which eliminates the need to go up to a 5 or 7 to get the better bass or power response - the SWARM is better because it is distributed and by being so addresses your room modes.  (I have extensive room calibration data to prove it.)

It will interesting to see what changes Roger makes to improve the Quatro - he has an excellent ear and he really understands the phase coherent multi-driver design better than anyone else.  The only thing that compares is a equalized full range single-driver on an open baffle with a bass augmenter, like Pass's SLOB open baffle design.

Vandersteen has a new model coming out this year.  Kento???? if I remember correctly.  Anyway I think in the $38K range.