Your favourite Rush albums?

Started as a side discussion on another thread so thought I would just make a thread for it.

Pretty simple really, your favourite Rush albums and why?

To keep it simple, studio albums ONLY, no bootlegs, live albums etc.
128x128uberwaltz
Bitten by the bug in 1989, a 30-year Rush fan here (which is young compared to many) and my biggest regret about them is that I’ll never get a chance to take my young sons to see the live. I remember on my first date with the woman who became my wife I discovered she was a Rush fan as well - and that pretty much sealed the deal.

Anyway, my album tastes are somewhat unconventional:
1. Signals - spoke to my adolescence, my love of literary structure (I love how the album alternates themes of constraint and release), so many others. Plus, learning several years ago that Neil structured his drum parts in "Subdivisions" to reflect the dichotomy of marching in step with the crowd AND trying to be different blew my mind even more.

2. Presto - simply beautiful, if poorly produced. But melody-wise this album soars.

3. Clockwork Angels - more beautiful melodies, even if the storyline is a bit hackneyed. This album really made me appreciate Geddy’s songwriting talents more than I had before.

4. Hemispheres - got an original German pressing of this a few months ago and boy, does it sing on the system!

Also, why feel the need to say how much the dislike the band? Please read the threat title again. Seriously, @pgauke, stay in your lane.

@n80

I agree.
But I mean it in a nice way :)

My father-in-law listens strictly to classical music. To his ears, pretty much all other music, especially any popular modern music, is only fit to be played by "cavemen dancing around a fire." (His words).

I won’t be turning him on to EDM any time soon. But that’s ok, I don’t need his permission to like it, or Rush....

Everything I wrote was, of course, purely a reflection of my subjective opinion.

The guaranteed way to look like a fool is to go beyond one’s own opinion to make objective claims in pronouncing some music "good" or "bad."

Virtually every classic piece of music, or any musical style, had someone somewhere declaring it to be of no worth and "will not last."

Top 3

1. Moving Picture (best album ever created)
The diversity of styles from this album is amazing. Love everything about the album from beginning to end.
2. Permanent Waves
3. Signals

Saw them on the Signal Tour back in High School. I had 2nd row the first night and 5 row right of center second night. That was the best concert PERIOD! Seeing them in Florida made Countdown extra special live.

Fun Fact about the two night show in Florida I saw. Rush was suppose to perform 1 show, but because of the situation explained below, they added an additional night for Florida fans.

On November 28, 1981, fans waiting to attend a Rush concert began throwing rocks and bottles at Pembroke Pines police officers and Sportatorium guards when the gates did not open on time due to the late arrival of Rush’s drummer, Neil Peart. Neil had been sailing on his sailboat in the British Virgin Islands during a 10-day break and missed his original flight in due to weather and other unforeseen issues. Having to take a later flight that would’ve got him there in time, he sent a telegram to the venue explaining this. However, the telegram never made it, and workers for the band couldn’t verify that he was on the plane (or as Neil put it in his book, Roadshow: Landscape with Drums, "In those pre-Homeland Security days, the airline I was flying on wouldn’t release its passenger manifest."). When the doors were finally opened, gate crashers scaled the 11-foot (3.4 m) wall surrounding the facility and started running toward the gates. Police sprayed tear gas on the intruders, resulting in additional rock throwing and fighting. Twenty-two people including 11 police officers were injured and two fans were arrested.] As a result of this incident, a Sportatorium task force was created to handle the rowdyism and related problems.

That’s an interesting post about the November,1981 Florida concert. I don’t think it matters whether it’s Mick Jagger, Paul McCartney or Neil Peart. If you are putting on a concert (and getting paid), you need to be there. Late is bad, not showing up is unforgivable. No one could take his place. How many people were looking forward to the concert for weeks? Seems pretty arrogant to me. You can read about the chaos that resulted. I still like Rush, but Yikes!

tonykay,

Did you not read the circumstances causing Peart to be late?  Weather problems and unforseen issues that you aren't aware of, and the problem with the telegram.  That isn't 'arrogant," that's someone missing a show he wanted to play!

Rush is known for their dedication to fans - one of the hardest working bands of all time and that was an anomaly amongst a record showing great professionalism and dedication.

Given this context it's silly to declare the situation was due to "arrogance."