Supratek or Don Sachs - which way to go?

I'm preparing to replace my SS preamp with a tube unit and have read with great interest many threads on this board. This is where I learned about Don Sachs model 2 preamps. They sound like what I'm looking for and those who own them consistently express their satisfaction with them.

Now I've just been reading and learning about the Supratek lineup. Wow. These also sound like fantastic works of art. Leaving me with a new question about which way to go. 

Thoughts? Advice? Experience? Anyone care to share?
128x128markusthenaimnut
@facten, according to a 6 Moons review of the Supratek Chardonnay, the Chenin includes a phono stage and line stage. So the Chenin might correspond to the Cortese.
As I said earlier, I have had Don's preamp for several years now, and it is by far the best preamp I have ever had in my system.   It is the last preamp I can ever imagine acquiring.  
@facten 

The Syrah was replaced by the Chenin around 2003. The main difference was the tubes used in the preamp phono section and the Chenin uses the Cortese phono circuit. The Chardonnay model is the current line stage iteration with no Phono section. I think the Cortese would be the closest current model with Phono. Call Mick to be sure.

Forgive me as is been 18 month since I did a direct comparison between the Modwright and the Supratek. (I should do another soon) What I do remember is in areas of dynamics, palpability, tonal presentation the Supratek was clearly superior. More meat on the bones, it pulled you into the music better. A warmer presentation too. The Modwright was a flatter, less engaging presentation and was somewhat grainy comparatively. This in spite of the fact I rolled RCA’s 40-60s, Sylvanians, Tung Sols from the 40s. The other odd thing is the Modwright would expose microphonics in tubes that were dead quiet in the preamps. The Modwright is a good piece, my findings are the Supratek is a step up, and the Wyetech be better still to my ears, and systems.
@ianderson

Thanks for your response.

I have the Modwright .  I will say that I have never had any issues with tube microphonics coming through (have used NOS RCA and Sylvania; and new production Sophia Electric and Shuguang Black Treasures ); also haven't experienced a grainy texture. That being said I'm always interested in upgrading my listening experience so I appreciate your sharing your experience with your preamps as possible options
The Modwright is a fine Preamp and particularly with good NOS tubes, it sounds fantastic. However It’s only when you compare it to the Supratek does one draw the conclusion it’s a little more grainy. Let’s put it other way..... the Supratek more; dynamic, palpable, smoother, organic with a bigger, deeper soundstage etc.... it’s  more like the real thing. You’ve got to hear it in the same system for comparison. I love any preamp that leverages a 6SN7, personally, I believe they are the best audio tube for preamps and power amp for driver positions too. Though I’ve never heard one, I’d bet I’d like the Shiit Freya too.

Those 40s Tung Sols sound out of this world, unfortunately they have a tendency in some circuits the be microphonic, yet in others it’s quiet. (Wyetech, ASL, and Supratek quiet, yet Modwright noisy) RCAs from all the eras I tried were quiet in no mater what pre I put them in. (unless they were altogether bad) It’s the nature of the beast.  I have no doubt that you can find tubes the stay quiet in the Modwright and last a long time. The factory tubes I started with were quiet, the SQ was not in the same league of the NOS tubes from the 50s or 60s though. As fine as the Modwright is with great NOS tubes, there are better Pre’s out the IMO.

Back to the OPs question, has anyone done a side by side with a Supratek and a Sachs? I would love to know what the differences are!