Harry James, The King James Version

Due to someone who recently mentioned this LP, and what a great recording it is, I decided it was time to give it a listen. I hooked up my SET 300B, tube preamp and phono stage, Garrard 401, Dynavector arm, and Zu Denon 103R, and was just floored at what I heard. Since I've been terribly lazy lately, I haven't listened to vinyl much at all recently, so it came as a shock to hear again how good a great slab of vinyl can sound.

I don't recall my digital front end ever getting my attention like this did. Shame on me for being so lazy. I've learned my lesson, and I will treat myself to much more analog in the future.

Regards,
Dan
Ag insider logo xs@2xislandmandan
It has got some strong boogie factor going on rodman. It is a fun experience listening to that. Kind of eye(ear) opening.
While I haven't compared all Sheffield Labs D2D, When I compared the "Treasury" Lp's to the D2D's that I had, well, I found the Treasury Lp's somewhat lacking. Especially in dynamics. It is true that Sheffield used a digital tape deck to back up the recording sessions as said before, the D2D stampers had a very limited life. I have listened to some of the Sheffield Cd's, which I thought sounded quite nice, but didn't have the D2D Lp's to compare with.
@mr_m - ".... I found the Treasury Lp’s somewhat lacking. Especially, in dynamics." YEP, not quite as good as their D2Ds, but- still had much of the Sax/Sheffield touch intact. I have couple of their demo CDs, but- prefer the Treasury presentations. No comparison(CDs), to the D2Ds(alas). I certainly do miss that excellent team and their vinyls!
Post removed 
As the OP, I have to tell "The Rest Of The Story". Back in 1970, I had friends that had an R'nR band (who didn't back then), and also a remote recording studio.
 They were recording a junior college jazz band concert. Instead of using headphones, they had a pair of custom built Tannoy 12" MG's, with a modified Crown amp, along with their mixing gear and tape recorder, in an adjacent bare-walled classroom. This was my introduction to Tannoys.

Much to my amazement, when I walked from the auditorium to where the monitoring was being done, I could swear the sound was the same from live to the monitoring station. That was when I was first convinced that Tannoys were for me.

You may ask,what does this post have to do with this thread? When I played the King James Version the other night, it reminded me of that night so long ago in Santa Barbara, it was so close to what  you would hear at a live jazz concert.

I'm not saying it was a perfect reproduction of a live band, but it was close enough to remind me of that event in Santa Barbara ca 1970.

Before I heard the playback of the Harry James LP again the other night, I was seriously considering venturing into acquiring a single ended 845 amp for a bit more power. Then, I asked myself, if this amp can perform this well, in this large room, with these speakers, do I really need to replace it? Is there something else in the listening chain that needs upgrading, perhaps in my digital front end?

I don't know. I do wish all my LPs would sound this good, but that's not in the offing. Maybe a new DAC?

Regards,
Dan