How I would measure cables

Hi everyone,
There’s been a lot of talk about "science" and cables. To me it sounds a lot like free energy, and cold fusion scams. With few exceptions, they invoke a lot of physics, without ever tying it back down to actual results. Fancy words, and lots of them.
In the fusion/energy camps this has become so common that they use a very simple method to find fraud. Like the discovery of the Enron scam, we have learned to compare input to output. Enron was first discovered to be a fraud by simply looking at the income and comparing it to claimed money generated. And oh how they howled that we just didn’t understand the business model.

So, with perpetual motion, fusion, dark matter conversion generators, and what have you, they have a simple test. Compare energy in versus energy out over time. The funny thing is, if any of these things actually worked, you’d think they’d make money by selling energy, but they don’t, they make money by getting you to invest or buy their equipment.

Anyway, point is, we live at a time where 96kHz/32 bit AD converters are common place, and commonly used in signal testing and analysis. If _ANY_ cable actually was worth high prices it would be super simple to test the output. For instance, record the signal at the speaker terminals for an entire performance you believe shows how good cable A vs. cable B is. Then go in and locate the difference. Perhaps it is frequency, perhaps timing, perhaps amplitude. It’s a lot of data for the 1970s, but all this would fit on anyone’s laptop now and be relatively easy to analyze.

I don’t have the time or energy to do this, anymore than I have the time to measure the power of the latest perpetual motion gizmo, however, this is affordable and practical for most manufacturers to accomplish. That none have done this, except a little done by Analysis Plus (with severe constraints) is why I will always remain somewhat with the skeptics and the "that’s way too expensive for a cable" camp.

So my point is, if you make cables you think do something cool, and worthwhile, I encourage you to undertake this type of basic research, maybe even define how testing should be done so others can follow and we can compare. For the rest of the world, I strongly encourage skepticism and to ask yourself repeatedly if what you are hearing really is worth the cost, or whether the same amount of money is better spent on a vacation.

If you want things which are clearly better than cables, room acoustic treatments by far are much easier to hear, prove they work, and end up with reliably great results.

Best,

E
erik_squires
My experience is that in addition to your ears you also need a tape measure. They don’t work at all if you can’t connect at both ends.
thyname,

Another pointless discussion from the people who yell "PROVE IT TO ME" all over the Internets, with no desire whatsoever to try for themselves.

You can make it pointless by attacking strawmen. Or, we could have a possibly interesting conversation. Your choice.

No one is pounding tables shouting "PROVE IT." Strictly speaking, nothing is absolutely proved; we just have more and better evidence supporting one hypothesis or another.

Simply pointing out the inconsistencies and problems in certain claims is hardly a dogmatic stance; it’s just good old critical thinking of the type you’d use to buy a car (hopefully!).

Of course said people would dismiss anybody sharing their experience of ownership and usage as placebo, psychoacoustics, and such,

Nope. You could really be hearing differences in your cables. But, since it’s also very easy to be in error from our subjective impressions, it’s fair to ask "how did you reliably determine the difference was objectively audible, vs your subjective impression."

This is asked routinely in virtually all areas in which science studies human experience, including in scientific understanding of audio. But for some reason, audiophiles think they are immune. And one is cast as some Terrible Dogmatist simply by pointing out the facts that none of us are immune to such errors. Is it really THAT hard to accept?

And yet, if you searched a bit, you will find plenty of info from cable manufacturers showing the rationale behind their product.

That’s fine...but every manufacturer of anything you can buy - from electronics, to beauty products, to purveyors of alternative medicine - will give you their "rationale" behind their products. Does that mean you just accept the rationale? Or should we apply some critical thinking to the claims? You don’t necessarily have to be an expert yourself to notice when it doesn’t make sense to simply jump on some manufacturer’s rationale as The Truth.

For instance, from your link:
Roger Skoff - who sold and manufactured expensive audiophile cables keep in mind! - wrote:
The one thing, though, that seems to be most consistently (and insistently) under attack is cables.

Very true. Now it makes sense to ask: WHY is that?

It’s because many people with relevant knowledge and credentials dispute the claims made for audiophile cables.
That’s significant. In medicine, you don’t see professionals "attacking" the germ theory of disease. But, tellingly, you certainly see a lot of them "attacking" things like anti-vaccine claims. It should tell you something: if the claims are controversial among people who know about a field...it is wise not to simply jump in and presume someone’s disputed claim is sound.

Roger Skoff continued:

Among the doubters have been the AES (Audio Engineering Society), EEs (Electrical Engineers), and even a goodly number of High End equipment designers and manufacturers (not to be named here to preserve our friendship), all of which or whom believe (as they were educated to do) that the only factors determining cable performance are resistance (R), capacitance (C), inductance (L), and characteristic impedance (Z0), and that any audible difference in cables can only be the result of one of those or of physical damage, poor connection, or poor construction.

So...look who the "doubters" are. The AES is a collection of trained audio professionals dating to 1948 and currently comprising 12,000 members around the world. Work published in AES journals are peer-reviewed. You don’t get to just make up anything that sounds plausible TO YOU and it gets a pass: it will be critically dissected by other professionals with knowledge and experience in what you are talking about.

In contrast, who is Roger Skoff?

A bio states:

Roger Skoff is an economist and entrepreneur,

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/reviewers/skoff.htm

So, he’s not accredited in electronics. Basically, he’s lived an audiophile life and turned it into a writing profession and at one point a business selling expensive cables.

Now, one doesn’t have to be an accredited EE oneself to simply apply critical thinking here. If on one side we have claims by an "entrepreneur" without training in electronics, and on the other hand we have the largest, most prestigious and rigorous engineering society in the world whose members would generally be skeptical about his claims....which one does it make sense to give more credence?
The answer is obvious.

But the audiophile who has a "personal experience" of a high end cable sounding "so much better" will go with that experience - never mind any possible error - and side with whatever mavericks or cable sellers can produce as explanations to sell their cables.

And, so it goes....

How I measure cables is to lay them flat on the floor as straight as possible.Using a tape measure, I align the zero point at one end, extend the tape measure until it just passes the other end and note the number aligned with that end.It works every time.I have noted that most of my cables seem to measure 1.5 metres except for the USB cable between the server and DAC which is only 80cm.
Yes Ethan. I am very familiar with your musings. I have read them in the Internets many times. Good copy / paste job!
To clarify, this all assumes cables make a difference. OK, we couldn't measure this conclusively in 1970s. So.... can we now?