Magico A3 vs. Joseph Audio Perspective vs. Spendor D9

Hi All,

I have been doing some research over the past while and am currently in the midst of a search for my next floorstanding speaker that costs around ~$10k. My other thread that I posted in this forum gave me a lot to consider. Rather than post there, I figured a most focused thread would be a good idea. Now, I have distilled my choices to these 3 choices... I think.

Power: I will be powering the speakers with a SET amp (48W per channel).
Sources: Most of my sources are digital (Roon/Tidal). I mostly listen to jazz, classical and female vocals. I would appreciate a speaker that provides that good, snappy bass where I don't need a subwoofer.
Room: Large room (will be in the living room that opens up to the kitchen and then the dining room). Aesthetics do matter here.

I have received a ton of help through the forums already during my search and have now narrowed down my speaker choices to (in no particular order):

• Magico A3 - No issues driving these speakers with my amp. Tested and they sounded wonderful. Very analytical and super clear details. Tight bass as well but maybe more weighted in the clarity/details than warmth, even with my tube amp.
  • Joseph Audio Perspective - No dealers in WA or OR so no way to test these but have heard wonderful things about these speakers. Sounds like imaging/sound stage is a strong suit along with clarity. I wonder how bass performance is though as these have smaller woofers compared to my other choices.
  • Spendor D9 - Have not heard these speakers yet but am trying to find a local dealer that has them in stock.
Another one that I am still thinking about is the Daedalus Argos but I would like to hear some feedback on the top 3 at this time.

Thanks!
freesole

There are very few absolutes in audiophilia beyond it's playing music//there is no sound coming from it.

So, the majority always knows best?

Or, to look at it another way, so many factors feed into sales of a particular product, how can you take sale figures as an indicator of pretty much anything (other than we should all be buying shares in Magico).

By producing lots of very high-priced speakers reviewed deliriously in Absolute Sound, they created a mystique around the brand.  There are other factors too.  So when they come out with a good-sounded, highly competent 10K speaker it's hailed as something really special.

It *is* really special to the people who hear it and really like it.  It *isn't* to those that don't.  Both judgments are equally valid.

Has anyone came across the output impedance and or dampening factor of  the Line Magnetic 805ia.

Also has any one came across impedance values, curves, phase angles for the Magico A3's. Maybe I am looking in the wrong places;  all I have been able to find is the crossover maybe a modified 4th order.

Would be grateful for any info

Thank you
Brad
I have since found the following:

3-way network features a 24db per octave Linkwitz-Riley filter that maximizes frequency bandwidth while preserving phase linearity and minimizing intermodulation distortion.

Sensitivity: 88dB Impedance: 4 ohms
Note: does not state if sensitivity is at 1 watt or 2.83 volts
Hard to imagine what people are hearing. I always regarded Spender as a mid-fi product. I think that the Dynaudios at that price range are much better speakers and the Magico A3 is in a completely different league altogether then the Dayns.
Got my Spendor D9's yesterday! Early first impressions are that the detail retrieval on the D9's rivals that of the A3 but the A3 does it just a tad bit better. Granted, I am not listening to the A3's on my home setup but my first thoughts are that the D9 does not trail very far behind at all at the top end. Very good detail portrayal on the D9's without ever sounding harsh or shrill. Very easy to listen to speakers that still give that detail fanatic satisfaction.

Midrange is gorgeous. Love guitar, piano and jazz playback on these speakers. So smooth but again, without losing that detail. I know it is so subjective to dub a speaker, "musical", but that is the word that I would describe the D9's as.

Much better low end on the D9's than the A3's in my personal opinion. This is without spikes on hardwood floor. Solid thump that is tight but with impact. I'll be adding the Gaia II's and assessing the difference after I install those shortly.

At the same time, I'm testing out the difference in power cables from the wall to my power conditioner (Niagara 1000). The cord that I am auditioning is the Audioquest Thunder vs my Pangea AC9SE Mk II. First thoughts are that the Thunder lowers that noise floor ever so slightly. The level sounds higher on the Pangea however... As a result, it sounds a bit more "dynamic" but the Thunder performs slightly smoother without any of the rolled highs. Still evaluating but the Thunder is a solid, solid cable.