Advice for killer desktop speakers

I am looking to upgrade my desktop listening experience and could use the advice of the community. Is there anything in the same price range as the Audioengine 5+ that I should consider? The Audioengines seem to be the consensus choice, but am unsure if this is just online hype and inertia. I do not want a subwoofer and I do not have enough desk space to go any bigger than the Audioengine 5. I tried using a pair of Kef Q150 speakers paired with a Dayton Audio APA 150 amp, but the speakers are just too big for my desk.  I think i would prefer to have powered speakers for the simplicity and utilize the Dayton in another room. I  normally listen at moderate volumes and need them to sound good at relatively low levels.  Any suggestions?
jplunkettj
Yeah man...the Wilsons are only 10 grand, but you do get 2 of them for that price.
Following with interest.  I have been going back and forth (for months!) trying to decide between two possible systems:

Audience 1+1 v2 (or v3!) with Benchmark amplifier

or

Omega Super 3i with new 25th anniversary Zen Triode amplifier.  That should have amazing synergy but it is putting the money in the amp rather than in the speakers.  And the speakers are a bit big for a desktop.  

Keep us posted!  Margot
Post removed 

I liked the Audioengine as well but ultimately bought the PSB Alpha Desk top system. these little PSB speakers are surprisingly good.