Small dedicated listening rooms

Potentially downsizing from a 17’ x 22’ room to a 8’6 x 10’ room.
Currently have huge three-way floor standers that would swallow the room.
Mostly ARC equipment.
Thoughts on speakers with a smaller footprint that don’t have to be too far off the walls?
Budget of 15k max. Used is fine.

luckytiger1
Duke brings up some very good points. Adding multiple small subs is beneficial, as it will smooth out the overall response. Unfortunately, adding more subs brings its own problems...and that is getting them to blend invisibly into the mix. Not to say it cannot be done, as I have managed this in my room, but it is more difficult to achieve and will take a lot more effort...and patience.
I wouldn't go with the headphone suggestions...no need to.
Since the room measures well and has a high ceiling, I think you are fine.
One of the best high end sounds I ever heard were big MBL 101D speakers situate in a room that was hilariously small, truly "closet-like" and I think smaller than the OPs.   But they were essentially nearfield, and the room well treated.

I've heard other speakers in very small rooms work well.  It depends on the speaker (for instance, something like Quad ESLs won't have as much interaction to the side walls), how you can position the speakers, what type of room treatment you can apply if necessary.

My first thought for the OP's situation was similar to what other's have mentioned.   Closer to near-field listening, and choosing an appropriate speaker for that.  But he mentioned the speaker has to be placed near the back wall, so, really that's the type of criteria that makes answering the question a lot tougher.
"Duke, you have possibly the most comprehensive answers every time you post on the gon. Always a good read. Hats off to you!"
+1
New to this forum. The kids have left home, so time to put together a nice two Channel listening room in a 10’ X 24’ room.  I’m old school, and love the Sonus Faber two ways on stands for their intimacy and warmth.  The New Guarneri Homage Tradition Wenge might be the nicest looking speaker ever. This or the Paradigm Persona B, ugly, but did have a great sound are my favs so far.  Thoughts from you experts. Before the kids, I had Thiel 3.6 with a Spectral DMC6, and a McCormack DNA1 amp. Not trying to replace this sound, but I did enjoy it for many years until the room was needed for another bedroom. What pre/amp setup might go with best with the SF Guarneri.  Thanks for input.  
In a room that size I have used very successfully the Harbeth P3esr and the Trenner and Freidl Suns (the latter with integrated amplifier from Brinkmann).  I agree that headphones eliminate the problems of a small room, but sometimes one doesn’t want to listen that way.  It can be done—especially nearfield.  Good luck!