A DAC that crushes price vs. performance ratio

I felt strongly that I wanted to inform the Gon members about a new DAC that ranks with the very best on the market regarding performance, but costs around $2,000.00.  The Lab12 DAC1 SE was compared to three reference level DACS that retail for over $12.000.00 in my review for hometheaterreview.com and was at least on the same level sonicly, if not better.  This DAC from Greece is not just "good for the money" but competes with virtually anything on the market regardless of price!

For all the details about the Lab12 DAC1 SE performance and what other DACS it was compared to take a look at the review.  If you are shopping/looking for a new digital front end to drive your system, you owe it to yourself to check this DAC out, unless you like to spend tons of more $ without getting better performance.
teajay
@Snopro

Thanks for your comment, Joe. I had considered the possibility of waiting for the SIT-3, but I decided that it wouldn’t be suitable for my purposes.

One reason being its VERY low gain (spec’d at 11.5 db), which would make it a non-starter for my system.

Another being that its power capability (spec’d at 18 watts and 30 watts for 8 ohms and 4 ohms respectively) is probably marginal (or worse) with my speakers, when listening to the many classical symphonic recordings that are in my collection that have been engineered with minimal or no dynamic compression, on labels such as Telarc, Reference Recordings, Sheffield Labs, Chesky, etc. In fact I might not have purchased the XA25 were it not for John Atkinson’s measurements which indicated a maximum power capability (presumably after leaving class A) of 80 watts and 130 watts into 8 and 4 ohms respectively. (My speakers are spec’d at 97.5 db, with a nominal impedance of 6 ohms, and are said to be close to that impedance throughout almost all of the frequency range).

Best regards,
-- Al
Hey snopro,

I'm on the list to get the SIT3 for review.  Everyone, that I trust their ears liked it very much.  However, it's a very different amp compared to the XA-25 regarding what speakers you can drive and control over the bottom end and overall dB levels. 

My SIT2 is a wonderful amplifier, however it has to be used with the right speaker to really be able to shine.  The SIT3 has more watts then the SIT2, so it's more flexible regarding what you can drive with it.
Almarg, I have Horning Eufrodite Ellipse speakers, which I run with 300b's and Pass XA-30.8. My Supratek Sauvignon has adjustments for gain, so I should have no problems.

Teajay, looking forward to your review once you get the amp.

Sorry for going of topic.

Joe
I notice the Lab 12 DAC1 has been around for at least 5 years.  Does anyone know if it's changed in any meaningful way?
Check out Audio mirror  this Vacuum Tube model is Very goood 
and the New MK-2 SE model can be bought for under $1500
and its naturalness is pretty eye opening . I have had several more 
expensive models .$$ dollar for dollar you are getting a lot .
they are upgrading their website ,writeto them directly  and do a web search .  Another model from Mod squad is also high value.