Ohm Walsh Micro Talls: who's actually heard 'em?

Hi,

I'd love to hear the impressions of people who've actually spent some time with these speakers to share their sense of their plusses and minuses. Mapman here on Audiogon is a big fan, and has shared lots on them, but I'm wondering who else might be familiar with them.
rebbi
Upon reflection, one change to my post:

I said "There are 2 things going on here", meaning the subs and Ohms.

Actually there are 3 things going on here. Great performance from the subs, great performance from the Ohms, and great integration of the two - a function of both of the above and the Velodyne SMS-1.

Marty
that's funny- you answered every question I didn't ask. Even down to the Sunfires and the Maggies- which are the other speakers I'm considering.

I think the bass is the most important aspect I'm concerned about. I really want a full-range speaker w/o a sub, but the flexibility to add one down the line if I have a larger room.

Thanks for the detailed answer!

-P
In my case, before acquiring the newer Ohms, my Triangle Titus 202 with sub was one of my references for great integrated bass.

I run both Ohm 100s and 5s in rooms of appropriate size without sub and have zero concerns or reservations regarding bass. That's their trump card over the Maggies they replaced as a matter of fact. I will say that in my larger room, the only shortcoming of the 100s compared to the 5s in in the satisfying bass department, but in the 100s current location, a 12X12 room, zero issues there.

Also, I recently replaced my old SS Carver c-6 pre-amp with a new Audio research sp-16 and the improvement in low end can be heard clearly with most any recording of any quality. With good quality recordings, I don't think I've heard better and I've auditioned quite a few systems of late looking.
Para,

My space is app. 14'X24" with a cathedral ceiling and an open rear wall (no wall, just a railing behind the listener), a much larger volume than Map's. Despite this, the 100s produce very good, remarkably extended bass - stand alone. IMHO, the overall performance of the speaker - in my space - improved dramatically with the subs. Measured bass response via the analyzer in the SMS-1 went from very good, if just slightly raggedy here and there, below 100hz and dropping sharply at +/- 33hz, to just plain flat to 25hz. Look, I'll be the first to admit that this measurement isn't the "be all and end all" of bass performance, but in my case it reflected what I was hearing.

Incidentally, for Para's stated desire; priority on bass without a sub - I'd also check out the Vandy 2 and the LFT. On his other note about liking the flexibility of later adding a sub, I'd stick with the Ohms. It may be the omni radiating pattern, but these thing mate with a sub like nothing else I've ever heard. Don't get me wrong, I'm impressed with the 100s stand alone, it's just that I'm way more impressed when they're coupled with subs - at least in a largish room like mine.

Just my observation, YMMV.

Marty
Parasound and others,

I just haven't had time to post an update in the past couple of weeks, but I'll get one up shortly.... hold on... ;-)