Ohm Walsh Micro Talls: who's actually heard 'em?

Hi,

I'd love to hear the impressions of people who've actually spent some time with these speakers to share their sense of their plusses and minuses. Mapman here on Audiogon is a big fan, and has shared lots on them, but I'm wondering who else might be familiar with them.
rebbi
John at Ohm told me that both the 100s and the Micro Talls work best at 2' from the front wall - the former for far field listening at greater SPLs, and the latter for nearfield at more modest levels.

Marty
I think it depends upon the room (duh!) :-)

I started with mine about 3 feet from the rear wall and they didn't sound that great: the soundstage was attenuated and the bass was indistinct. I gradually inched them backward toward the rear wall, and at about 18" out, everything snapped into place. The room filled with music (in that distinctive "Ohm way"), the imaging came into focus and the bass response popped. I know that the CLS driver is designed so as to damp the sound that would normally come from the rear of the driver toward the wall, making near-wall placement much more feasible, but you still have to mess with them. But when they're placed properly, as Mapman says, "Bingo!", you know it. :-)
"John at Ohm told me that both the 100s and the Micro Talls work best at 2' from the front wall - the former for far field listening at greater SPLs, and the latter for nearfield at more modest levels"

Makes sense.

Smaller drivers will be more challenged to produce higher SPLs at a distance, which is why the larger models are designed for larger rooms.

I've had both my 100's and my Walsh 5s in my main but small 12'X 12' listening room in more of a near-field scenario. The larger drivers added little or no value there. The smaller drivers actually sounded better in that they fit the room better and had more room to "breathe".

The level adjustments on the Walsh 5's specifically were useful, but one might accomplish similar adjustments just as effectively with a good control pre-amp.

In my largest room, the 100s hold their own very well but the 5's deliver a performance of larger scale and impact to better fill the larger room.
What size room would be OK for the Talls? My room is 15x24 with a vaulted ceiling, would that be OK? I have not heard Ohm Walsh speakers, but the information here has me wanting to. I am looking for a warm, smooth, listen- all-day type of speaker that sounds good in a variety of sitting positions. Might have to try them.
You should talk to John, but I'd guess he's going to suggest 100s. If you're more than 15' from the plane of the speakers, the Talls are not recommended.

good Luck

Marty