Speakers for aging audiophiles - What's with today bass emphasis ?

I'd love to pick your brains on a issue and possibly a suggestion
My system has 2 sources, a Logitech transporter and Thorens 126 MKIII / SME / Supex.  Ampli recently changed to a Musical Fidelity M6si. My listening is 80% streaming and 20% vinyl. It's mostly classic and prog rock but also acoustic jazz and classic chamber music.
I have an issue with my current speakers setup: Dynaudio BM6 passive.
I have been using those for some months now and find that while they are satisfying in terms of scene, detail, resolution they are exceedingly strong in the bass (say 50 to 200 Hz) and not adequately balanced in the middle / treble, say from 1k Hz up. It seems as though the bass player stand in front with a big amplifier and everyone else is back in the stage.
I have changed the amplifier to the Musical Fidelity but while I am happy with that I did not see much change in respect to the issue I am describing.

I relate this issue to 2 causes:

1. Today's recordings emphasizes the bass unrealistically. Let me just give you an example. I recently bought Steve Wilson remix of Marillion "Misplaced Childhood". Great work. The mix is shining but compared to the old vinyl I have got you get this feeling of too much bass. Bass quality is great, well defined, solid, no complain but just too much of a good thing.

2. I am ageing, over 60 now. It is well know that as you age your sensitivity to the high frequencies falls down

Given those factors I'd like to change speakers to get something that:
- Is very open on the highs
- It's very analytical
- Does not over emphasize basses
- Bookshelf
- Ballpark cost 2 - 2.5 K

Can anyone make suggestions ? I was inclined to the Harbeths M30 but read several blogs where they say they do emphasize the bass. Maybe Dynaudio Special or Focus  ? How about Totem Sky ?

I don't mind spending a few more bucks to get what I want / need.

Thanks a lot everyone.

Mark.
marklings
If you're an aging audiophile your high and mid frequencies are depressed.  Try hearing aids....they aren't perfect, but certainly can help if you choose the right pair.
If certain recordings are a problem and the "bass quality is great" I would assume a tone control and/or maybe some seat or speaker positioning experimentation would be fruitful, though I do relate to the idea that bookshelf speakers commonly have a major problem with bass balance and most ports sound pretty bad. Used Radio X1s can be had in your budget. They are "analytical" in a sense with a ribbon top end and basically no bass. The downside is, imo, one has to buy in to Raidho’s idea of psychoacoustics. B&Ws have a tipped up tonal balance and and typically do not have an aggressive bass tune. I can’t attest first hand to their current models regarding the bass, though.

"I feel that they are a little veiled"
I agree, even by ATC's own admission the drivers are a bit opaque. Not that I do not like them; I almost bought a pair. 
i own the MuFi M6i. the version before yours. 
my speakers are B&W 804d2.
you mentioned the speakers cant be moved.
pity.
i found wonderous pleasure about 2' from rear wall.
if you cant leave them that far away, can you experiment...
find your happy spot and mark the floor?
then it takes but seconds to reposition when about to listen.
this route costs zero....

What you want is bass control and not necessarily, bass extension. If your speaker is rated to "only" 44Hz, the in room response should be fairly good, if not great, in the mid 30s with satisfying results. 

All the best,
Nonoise
I agree with others that the speakers on their own may not be the issue, however, their positioning is likely a big part of the problem. As modern recordings go, you’re not delusional, the bass is often boosted in the mix. I’ve read reports that claim our ears develop greater sensitivity to high freqs as we age, not that we hear them better, but that they’re more likely to cause fatigue. I believe they we’re referring to the 4kHz to 8kHz range - not the 16kHz^ range that folks often describe as "air."

Rear ported/slotted speakers are just not very compatible with such wall proximity. 10" is just too close. DSP can do pretty marvelous things, but at that distance, it’s more like a bandaid on a hemorrhage. It’s best to mitigate problems where you can before you’re forced to process your analog signals. Because you can’t move them, you should seek out a transmission-line or sealed box speaker. I can concur with Wolf that Heresy IIIs work very well against walls, and they’re as detailed as any Harbeth for half the cost. If a lack of high freqs or "forwardness" really is a problem in your system, they can very likely solve it. This isn’t to say they’re fatiguing, but they can require careful gear matching. The ATCs are another good suggestion. But in the meantime, you can temporarily pull those Dynaudios away from the walls (a good 4’ or more) just to see how much it changes the balance. My bet is you won’t find the highs lacking in that condition.