Speakers for aging audiophiles - What's with today bass emphasis ?

I'd love to pick your brains on a issue and possibly a suggestion
My system has 2 sources, a Logitech transporter and Thorens 126 MKIII / SME / Supex.  Ampli recently changed to a Musical Fidelity M6si. My listening is 80% streaming and 20% vinyl. It's mostly classic and prog rock but also acoustic jazz and classic chamber music.
I have an issue with my current speakers setup: Dynaudio BM6 passive.
I have been using those for some months now and find that while they are satisfying in terms of scene, detail, resolution they are exceedingly strong in the bass (say 50 to 200 Hz) and not adequately balanced in the middle / treble, say from 1k Hz up. It seems as though the bass player stand in front with a big amplifier and everyone else is back in the stage.
I have changed the amplifier to the Musical Fidelity but while I am happy with that I did not see much change in respect to the issue I am describing.

I relate this issue to 2 causes:

1. Today's recordings emphasizes the bass unrealistically. Let me just give you an example. I recently bought Steve Wilson remix of Marillion "Misplaced Childhood". Great work. The mix is shining but compared to the old vinyl I have got you get this feeling of too much bass. Bass quality is great, well defined, solid, no complain but just too much of a good thing.

2. I am ageing, over 60 now. It is well know that as you age your sensitivity to the high frequencies falls down

Given those factors I'd like to change speakers to get something that:
- Is very open on the highs
- It's very analytical
- Does not over emphasize basses
- Bookshelf
- Ballpark cost 2 - 2.5 K

Can anyone make suggestions ? I was inclined to the Harbeths M30 but read several blogs where they say they do emphasize the bass. Maybe Dynaudio Special or Focus  ? How about Totem Sky ?

I don't mind spending a few more bucks to get what I want / need.

Thanks a lot everyone.

Mark.
marklings
@marklings Have you considered demoing a Lyngdorf TDAI 2170?

With regards to speakers, since placement close to the wall is a factor, in addition to sealed designs, consider front ported speakers or those that port below the speaker cabinet. Transmission line designs may be a great option for you.

At some point you will run into a clash between the features and performance you want, and your budget. PMC (transmission line and front ported) comes to mind, but may be above what you want to spend. Likewise, Aerial.... which was recommended early in the thread.
A well designed ported speaker sounds every bit as “tight” as a sealed speaker. It is a function of qtc and group delay. It is not a matter of sealed v ported, but how the designer has tuned it.

You really need to look at your room. Without running REW or the equivalent, you will never see the likely 30db varience you have in bass levels at your listening position. Small changes in speaker and listening position can make major changes in these peaks and nulls. You also need to measure your decay time. If your decay time is long, it will only further emphasize standing waves and bass bloat.  Treating the room (look at GIK acoustics which are inexpensive and will make recomendations if you send them your room information) will run under $1000 and do far more to address what you are experiencing than chasing different speakers.

Digital correction can also be used (i.e. Mini DSP), but I would always start with placement and room treatment becore applying DSP.
If you're an aging audiophile your high and mid frequencies are depressed.  Try hearing aids....they aren't perfect, but certainly can help if you choose the right pair.
If certain recordings are a problem and the "bass quality is great" I would assume a tone control and/or maybe some seat or speaker positioning experimentation would be fruitful, though I do relate to the idea that bookshelf speakers commonly have a major problem with bass balance and most ports sound pretty bad. Used Radio X1s can be had in your budget. They are "analytical" in a sense with a ribbon top end and basically no bass. The downside is, imo, one has to buy in to Raidho’s idea of psychoacoustics. B&Ws have a tipped up tonal balance and and typically do not have an aggressive bass tune. I can’t attest first hand to their current models regarding the bass, though.

"I feel that they are a little veiled"
I agree, even by ATC's own admission the drivers are a bit opaque. Not that I do not like them; I almost bought a pair. 
i own the MuFi M6i. the version before yours. 
my speakers are B&W 804d2.
you mentioned the speakers cant be moved.
pity.
i found wonderous pleasure about 2' from rear wall.
if you cant leave them that far away, can you experiment...
find your happy spot and mark the floor?
then it takes but seconds to reposition when about to listen.
this route costs zero....