Phono Preamp Recommendations

I realize this is a fairly open ended question but I’m looking for recommendations for a phono preamp. Would like to keep it under 3k but am flexible. I’m using a Pro-Ject Xtension 12, Sumiko Palos Santos moving coil cartridge through the phono preamp in a Mytek Brooklyn+ DAC. Amp is a Hegel H160 integrated and Wilson Sabrina speakers. I’m not familiar with tubes but wouldn’t rule them out. I haven’t started auditioning phono preamps yet but would like some recommendations to start the process. The preamp in the Mytek is good but I believe my system would benefit from a dedicated phono preamp. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.
128x128wally1966
Hi Lew,

First, to be sure it’s clear the input stage of the Herron for LOMCs is FET-based, and does not use a 12AX7 or any other tube. I believe you are correct that the MM input stage uses a 12AX7, and I assume that stage is in the signal path for LOMCs as well.

Essentially all I know about its design characteristics, though, is what is stated in the description and the manual that can be seen at the website. Among other features, undoubtedly passive RIAA equalization, absence of any feedback, use of "high quality very low dielectric absorption film type" capacitors in the signal path, "four levels of high voltage regulation," use of "hand-picked components," and internal star-grounding are significant contributors to its performance.

Fundamentally, though, I believe that the most significant contributor to its performance is simply Keith Herron’s combination of technical expertise, musical sensitivity, and dedication to excellence.

Best regards,
-- Al
Thanks, Al. Most of those other features are common to the better tube phono stages that are available for sale, so I would have to agree that the excellence of the product must owe to Keith Herron's skills and care.  Some chicken soup is just better than other chicken soup. 
I love my Audio Research PH8 - can be had for around $3500 on the used market.