Is $3000 pushing the limits for a geat monitor??

I want to go to a monitor speaker because I cannot physically handle the weight and size of a 80lbs floor standing speakers any longer.

I have looked at several monitors like the Sonus Faber Venere MKII series; Lenaham ML-1 made in Australia, Spendor, Harbeth. I have listened to the older Dynaudio Excite 12 and new version, Excite 14. I like the sound of both of the latter speakers, but the dealer insists I hear the Dynaudio Focus 160. Unfortunately, he has none in stock to buy or for audition.

Therefore, any member currently own a pair of the Focus 160, or have auditioned them recently. I need some good feedback about this model's sound quality before charging in and buying them. I also want to get opinions about whether a monitor can compete with a large floorstander. Thanks to all !!!!!
sunnyjim
I've owned several of both small and large speakers over the years...stands, no stands, filled with sand or lead shot...spikes or dampening pods...blah blah, and I think the term "compete" is key here...a "large floor stander" is large, and uses its largeness to give the bass some room to function, and a stand mounted small "monitor" can take up exactly the same (or more) space, use more speaker cable since you have to reach up to the speaker with the cable (most floorstanders have posts near the floor), and requires a stand. So much for smallness. I found, through a friend's diligent research (i.e. he bought 'em first after reading reviews), a pair of Silverline Prelude speakers a few years ago...no stand required, narrow baffle so it has that in common with small monitors (maybe a big reason for them sounding great). An older model (meaning bought used el-cheapo) REL sub completes this rig, and it kills. There are lots of these sorts of things around, and to my mind they're a better idea unless you want something to sit on top of a recording rig for nearfield listening/mixing, or you really are going to put them on a shelf in your restored Airstream. The bottom line is how these things sound to you, but if you're buying stands for them and like the sound of floorstanders, get lighter floorstanders and rebel against the insidious speaker stand cabal.
Magico Q1 sounds like a floor standing speaker great bass,deep stage,wonderful imaging etc.
be careful with monitors (or floorstanders that lack stability) if you have cats ... I speak from experience :(
I appreciate the comments and advice of those members who have responded. Let me quickly list my downsized system: Rogue "Sphnix integrated amp (100RMS); Ayre CX-7e(replacing a Rega Apollo) Rega P3-24TT with a Dynavector 10X5. The speakers are the Acoustic Zen Adagios. I like these speakers very much, and am only considering replacing them because of their size and weight. Therefore, any monitor I choose must be very close or better in sound quality.

The living room or listening space could be a problem. (For the record, nothing is set-up yet because I am still waiting delivery by the shipping company's movers) Dimensions of the actual listening area are 12.5ft X12.5ft; 9 foot ceiling. The living room continues to the front door and adds 10ft. to the total length( 22.5ft) The width of the entire room is approx. 12.5ft This space is both kitchen and dining area. This space is split by a vertical counter island, and also provides a boundary line between the living room and kitchen area which has many cabinets of vary sizes. (I assume this may damp out the room). The living room will have a large overstuffed recliner, and a 68 inch couch, and a 42 inch flat screen TV supported by medium size and weight entertainment center. Also a 8X10 ft rug cover hardwood floors. The opposite wall from the apartment entrance is occupied by large window, and a door which leads out to a balcony.

I have plenty of framed maps and artwork and photos to hang, and break up standing waves, but my initial instinct is the room is going to be somewhat echoy and bright because of the output of the Adagios, and require thicker wall damping material.

BTW,I listened mainly to classic 60's rock and jazz fusion, golden oldies crap, and tend to play it louder than moderate Lastly, I worry about problems with the neighbors, even tough I listen mainly in the early afternoon and never past 5PM.......... Hope this info helps!!!