Should I eliminate my preamp?

I have been using my Audio Research tube preamp and Bryston amp to drive Magnepan speakers for years. Recently I added a Oppo blue ray player to my system and connected directly to my amp using the balance cables. The reason was to eliminate the signal having to go through another piece of equipment before it hits the amp. Am I wrong or what am I missing?
elf1
This appears to be a perennial question and is asked on a regular basis. Lots of threads with great discussions but no conclusive answer. It boils down to taste. For me, For the types of music I listen, I love the "color/distortion" that a tube preamplifier adds to the texture of the music and my brain translates that into musicality, life, and can paint a more realistic soundstage in my head. I could care less if it is not completely accurate but on the other hand this color sounds more like live music to me.  
No way. We all consider this at some point. A great preamp always preferable in my opinion. Give each a weeks listen then decide. 
A high quality (and usually higher priced) pre will only enhance the listening experience. Most people who say no preamp speak on theory or have just never used a good enough pre to hear the difference themselves.
The theory is correct. Any preamp will add frequency response anomalies and distortion. You may prefer that sound to the unmodified signal, but it is good to be honest (as most of the posters in this thread have been) about what is actually going on. Sometimes I enjoy the listening to different DSP settings in my Yamaha A/V receiver  :-)
phomchick
Any preamp will add frequency response anomalies and distortion
Quite so. But with the best preamps, those levels are far below the threshold of audibility.