Oppo Ceasing production

Just visited Oppo's web site.  They are ceasing production of all their products and will only do warranty work and firmware support for their products.  They no longer have the resources to manufacture new products.  Didn't see this one coming.
128x128stereo5
Wow, this is a surprise! But, then again, I guess it's really not. I don't know a single person who still buys CDs like I do for my Oppo 103. I mentioned to an audiophile friend I was considering purchasing a better CD player. His only response was "You might want to re-consider that".
Wow!  Didn't see that one coming!

I have a PS Audio memory player.  I think they use an Oppo disk unit in that product.  I wonder if their parts are used in lots of other name brand products?
When you look at the pittance you need to spend to get a reasonably competent BR player from Sony or similar, perhaps it's explicable that they weren't getting sufficient market share.  But it's still a sad day.  They were diversifying, etc.  Until today, I would have cited them as a success story.
I think you are correct that Oppo units were used by a LOT of other manufacturers as they were just so good at such a fair price that the competition just could not justify the cost of trying to make their own to compete or be better.

Of course then there was ONE infamous manufacturer who decided they would just put a complete Oppo inside their box and sell it under their own brand name at a massive mark up.....that did not end well for them.....
It is truly hard to believe. I thought Oppo was a role model for success!
Oppo was always personally responsive to customer questions unlike so many other companies that hide behind voice mail, email etc.

And, 4K discs played back on my 205 are outstanding!

Very sad...

ozzy
More to discover