What was the first system you heard that made you think the high end made sense

I am sure I cannot be the only person here who can recall the day, and indeed the very system that made them think 'oooohhhhh yesssss - I get it - I understand - and I absolutely love it!'

In my case I attended a HiFi Show in Heathrow at the Renaissance Hotel. It was the GT Audio room hosted by Graham Tricker. The parts comprised:

DPS turntable- Schroeder arm - jan allaerts cartridge
Tron Pre-amp
Avante Garde Uno's

In all honesty I still remember the day now. It was so musical and had the ability to connect me to the music. When I went for a full demo at Grahams home I came to understand the magic of horns, valves and imaging. 

lohanimal
Marantz tuner, Garrard TT, and Superscope speakers circa 1977. My very first and favorite set-up. Wish I still had it. 
My late friend Courtney Carroll got me into audio way back in 1979-1980. He sat down with me and before listening for the first time we smoked some Colombian and it was on! I still remember that system. He had an ARC preamp and amplifier, Tympani 1D’s panels and using Mogami speaker cable. I have been into audio since that experience. ;)

My pivotal experience was as a child in the late 50s, listening to my parents 78 records on a monophonic console system with built in phonograph and radio of course. 

I would lie on the floor with my head centered under the only speaker and listen to record after record.  I didn't become a gear junkie until I started earning money and reading the mail order supply mags.  I've been upgrading that experience ever since only to be basically "done" now as I hit retirement. 

The systems I bought started in late high school, followed by a number of incremental changes over the span of many decades.  My current system starting from scratch once again, has taken about 6 years to sound the way I've always wanted.  Barring component failure or my life cut short, this should be my longest held system.  I seek nothing further at this point other than adding to my music collection.