Naim and Elac Adante, Wow

The new Elac Adantes are creating a lot of buzz both good and bad.

We were mixed on the speakers initially as certain sonic aspects were fantastic while others were less then satisfactory.

The Adante AS 61 has a relatively low sensitivity so we thought 40 watts will not be enough.

Surprise the Naim Uniti Atom with Wireworld cables produced an intoxicating sound.

The Atom is warm and punchy so the combo matched perfectly.

Elac and Naim fantastic together and affordable.

3k amp which includes dac and streamer,  plus 2.5k speakers other then cables and stands this combo would make a lot of people very happy.

We would urge prospective Adante purchasers to seek out this combo these two products mesh while other combos of electronics with the Adantes may be why some people are not liking the speakers.

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ
128x128audiotroy
audiotroy OP746 posts03-08-2018 6:13pmThe other issue is your comments here had nothing to do with Elac you fall into the bad taste behavor of Gr4blu and his incessant complaining of what he perceives is bad form by us.

Dave, thanks for the kind words.  Very classy.  

In our mind Richard has over the years done some good stuff, but lets face facts, he is not a trained engineer. He is a man who came up with some good ideas and launched a company that through hard work and clever manfacturing made a fantastic speaker for the price with particualar trade offs and a sonic signature and yes through the 37 years colloborated with a few others and did come up with some excellent stuff.

By the way there are many guys in this industry who fall into the same catagory including Dan D'agistino and Mark Levinson the man.

Before posting, you may want to get your facts straight.  Look at Vandersteen's resume and then share with me how his electronics background in the Air Force and his college work wasn't formal training?  When you say collaborated, I wonder if you are talking about designing his speaker's over the years?  Actually, I really don't care as your facts aren't really facts so far.

Also, Mark hasn't designed a thing other than a marketing and sales plan.  John and Tom did all the design work.  

Irrelevant as I have been discussing only his current line of speakers when saying you haven't heard them.  I wasn't always a fan of Vandersteen speakers for many reasons.  

As for the excuses of you putting not getting your room back in order after your photo shoot and agreeing that nothing sounded good, that's fair.  The thing is that I am pretty familiar with both the Legacy and the Paradigm's and they both sounded very similar to what I've heard the many other times I've heard them.  I've heard them both in rooms that were dedicated audio rooms with very good room correction.  Many folks like the sound of both and that's cool.  Never said it wasn't.  I just say it's not what I like, but you kept posting after every post of mine for ages that I havent' heard them at your house and that would change my mind.  You bring this all on yourself Dave.  You will never see that and that's cool.  You either have very thin skin as you lash out at anyone who posts anything that goes against your opinion or what you are selling.  I didn't mean to get under your skin, but it's obvious that I did.  Be well

Have heard the Elac's in this thread twice in the last few weeks.  They are on the brighter side for those who like that type of sound.  What they must have is outstanding electronics and GOBS of power.  I had both dealers change out the amplification and the only way they woke up was with the larger amps.  Tubes are very fast and don't get their due much of the time.

The Adante's need to be tamed IMHO.  You will need to budget a fair amount of money with this speaker IMHO.  
Ctsooner, no I learned something, that guys like you can’t have a civil discussion and it is nearly impossible to open your eyes into anything that is is different or other ways of looking at things.

You think that after I agreeded with you that the two systems we played were not preforming the way they should could you perhaps have had the decency to consider that all was not well for the reasons stated in our previous post. and perhaps have not passed judgement on what you heard because it wasn’t sounding right?

The mistake made was trying to accomodate you and your friend without testing the systems first and by having a photo shoot the week before.

As per you hearing Lecacy and the Personas, where exactly?

Again, the Persona dealer in CT, been to his shop. and he may be nice but if I remember his facility wasn’t setup with really top of the line gear nor cables or anything. With Legacy where did you hear them, they have no dealers in this territory otther then us and the older Legacy models were not in the same ball park as the current series.

At the last show many people were amazed at the sound.

Richard may have been in the airforce that doesn’t make him a trained engineer, especially with loudpeakers. Do they teach loudspeaker design, and acoustics classes in the Airforce? Don ’t they usualy teach a skill like repair rather then design in the Airforce? The fact that you have to defend him with so much fervor is just one reason why the post spiraled into this mess.

The fact that a guy like you can’t see the difference between a Laurie Finchem, or Lawrence Dickie, or an Andrew Jones, proves you don’t really have a history of audio that is based on some of the men who were behind the sceens of the largest and most sucessful audio companies in history such as Kef and B&W, I am sure you are going to tell me that KEF and B&W speakers sound bad and are not pistonic and have metal driver colorations etc. Compare the technical acchievements from these large companies and how many novel driver and cabinet innovations came forth from them.

Vandersteen has created a great product that many people adore, but this whole magilla started when a particular dealer used the word revolutionary about his products, which started our points about who and what constitues something that is revolotionary that discussion wasn’t meant to raise up or tear down anyone it was about perspective in an industry where too many people hail some minor thing as "revolutionary." without acknowledging the difference between really coming out with something new or changing some minor detail and then making that claim.

The only thing revolutionary that we can see was the DBS battery pack idea which has more to do with cabling then with speakers although it may help the speakers perform better, and an design to help with midrange colorations in the midrange driver design of the 3A. Composite cones have been done before by JM Labs and Thiel before.

As per Elac needing a ton of power to sound right, what do you base that on exactly? Where did you hear them and perhaps that company didn’t have a great souding smaller amp like the Naim.

We have them sounding very good on a 40 watt Naim integrated which costs $3,000.00 we are playing them in a room 18 by 16.

Do you know that with 40 watts in that size room you can probably still get to 90+ db. How loud do you want to listen?

Heard the same bull with the ATC also a 85db loudspeaker, sure they will really knock your socks off with a big amplifier, because they can play so loud so cleanly, however, same thing on a good 40 watt per channel amp at a decent volume level they can sound magnificent and play loud enough for most people unless they are trying to play at concert levels.

Ctstooner, you are a nice guy and you have your opinions, and we have ours, lets just agree to disagree.

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ

Still loving my Adantes. I'm not a dealer I am just someone who enjoys these speakers and wanted to share how I felt. Yes I am new to this forum but judging on the behavior of most of the people I have been disenchanted and no longer post. This is supposed to be a fun and enjoyable hobby. This forum makes it seem less so. 
hificrazed

dont lose faith, you enjoy your music and your great speakers !!!!

this thread long ceased to be about your speakers and a particular bit of NAIM kit.

this thread is about running down the accomplishments of a great engineer, designer and American businessman because the dealer for your speakers has a very local competitor who sells Richards product.

it is that simple

i would just skip this thread

maybe start your own tgread about the virtues of your system, room and of course your speakers...

peace brother

and enjoy the music..

btw I have a very nice Jackson Browne album on with an el cheapo bottle of red vino from Portugal - sublime.....