Ayre QB-9 DSD or Codex?

I don’t need the preamp function of the codex and the optical input is not a big deal for me. In terms of pure sound quality of USB input which is better? I’ve read that the QB-9 has a slight edge but I have yet to hear the Codex.

Also considering the Esoteric D-07x.

Any input on these would be fantastic.

Thanks!
Ag insider logo xs@2xhk_fan
I second the Codex.
Though I haven't heard the QB-9, I am hesitant to spend a lot on a DAC, as technology changes so rapidly with this item.
The nice thing about Ayre is that they offer upgrades.
In my opinion, the Ayre Codex is on par with the Schiit Yggy, with the Ayre slightly better. 
YMMV
Bob
I also agree that a Codex is a great sounding, terrific value DAC. Comparing it with a QB-9 I thought it sounded less analytical and warmer, without sounding overly euphonic.

Other thing I like about the Codex is that I can run both my Aurender and CD transport. The QB-9 has one input.
I can't believe someone hasn't jumped on the Codex for $1200 in the classified adds. I bought a near mint condition Codex at about the same price here and could not be happier with my purchase. Makes the Bluesound Node 2 sound like a giant killer. Especially in balanced mode.
I’m trying to jump on one but the seller didn’t reply back to me yet...

Also, I don’t run balanced on my setup, so I don’t know if I would get the full benefits of the Codex.
After doing a bit more research I'm not also looking at the Mytek Brooklyn+ which supports MQA, comes in around $2k new and has a 30 day in-home trial.

I know the QB-9 fairly well and enjoyed it, but MQA intrigues me and I am a Tidal user.

DAC technology moves so quickly it's really difficult to know when to jump in.

Thanks for all the feedback so far.