Adcom?

Does ADCOM still make products and most importantly sell products?

I bought a amp/pre-amp combination (710 for the preamp and maybe 5300 for the stereo amp), and it was the worst electronics I have had in my house in 40 years, that is, beside NAD.
Both components started to malfunction majorly just after a few months (pre-amp volume control having a mind on its own, amplifier was discharging loud every couple minutes).
They both times promised me that they would exchange mine for new, so after agreement, I sent my gear back to them, and they sent it back to me with the same problems... we did that a couple times.... I think the tech guys were billing the department for new units, kept them for themselves, and sent me back the same crap untouched.
I could tell both times that the gear was untouched by adcom as I had marked the units on frames.

I feel like this kind of fraud is happening a lot, especially this time of the year when audio gear dealers offer "black friday deals", but in fact, they sell refurbished units thinking you won’t see anything.

Adcom, dealers selling refurbished as fresh from factory, thoughts?
128x128chrisr
I've always had a big adcom amp lying around for spare bedroom use or something. They were my first intro in to good sound...a good starting point for people who love to listen to music. The early stuff like gfa 555 and gtp preamps are bulletproof, the later stuff is not built as well but sounds decent...not really true "audiophile" but good sounding and powerful, reliable.
Like Adcom, B&K is back in business as well (http://www.bandkav.com/products/). Looks like in name only. Probably the same level stuff as adcom. I'm guessing Emotiva is probably the modern day equivalent. I ran the B&K st-140 amp for a few years and it sounded wonderful

The newer Hafler gear looks interesting http://www.hafler.com/
I'm with mattmiller: the Adcom GFA 555 was (and still is) a great bargain-priced amp (used) and perfect for the entry-level audiophile or for someone who wants a decent 2-channel amp for surround speakers. Another great buy for the audiophile on a budget (again, used) is the Muse Model 100, which is bullet-proof and great sounding. It's my current center-channel amp. I even have a B&K ST-140 sitting on a shelf somewhere, my first one-step-up from receivers amp back when we were poor but knew there had to be something better than what Sears was selling. If one of our Levinsons gave out, I could live with a used Audio Research tubed preamp (e.g. an LS-15 or LS-16) and a Muse Model 100 until I had saved enough to buy another beefy Mark Levinson amp. I'm sorry to read that Adcom and B&K are not making reliable, great-sounding gear any more. Go used! Audiogon is a life-saver for those of us who are not rich but still have good ears.
I have an Adcom 5800 ( Nelson Pass) design driving Magnepan 1.6 speakers with ease . No issues except the slight hum from the two cooling fans. Don't know when this unit was produced, but it is built like a tank. It sits in my closet now as I switched to Bryston.