Not Enough Options for Auditioning Speakers

am in the market for a great two channel music system. They will be set up in a dedicated listening room that is 12'x17'x9'. The room is carpeted but not treated.

My budget is around $15k-$20k for speakers, wires, amp+preamp (or integrated).

I prefer towers as I like the full range and have had bad luck with integrating a sub. I started my search with B&W 805's and Sonus Faber Olympica I's (which are still on my short list)

My problem is that most of the dealers in my area do not carry very many brands, so it is hard to compare. I cannot even find one that carries the KEF reference.

I am leaning right now to the Sonus Faber Olympica III's but also really like the B&W 803 D3. I wish I could hear them side by side. The dealer with the SF's is great and has let me do home testing with several speakers and he is recommending the Olympica's.

I read a lot online about auditioning several different speakers but cannot find any place in central Florida that has most of the lines they are suggesting. I know if I pick the SF Olympica's I will be very happy, but I have not even heard the III's! I am just a little frustrated that the consistent advice is to listen to a lot of others, but I can't.

Am I the only one with this problem?

Thanks!
-Mobius
mobiusmu
In Washington DC we are lucky to have several very good shops - DejaVu Audio (especially), CommandAV, and others. Plus Capitol Audiofest (CAF) is the first weekend in November, attracts a decent number of exhibitors, and is often not too crowded. The other option is to order direct from manufacturers that allow a liberal return policy.

As for integrating subwoofers, I suggest you read up on the Vandersteen 2Wq subwoofer at the Vandersteen site.  IMHO, this is the easiest sub to integrate with any mains that extend down to 40Hz. 

As for the demo issue, it's a tough one.  For me, personally, it is no contest.  I find SF speakers much better sounding than B&W speakers, and I have heard the newest 803 several times.  But, speakers are like food, there is no one "best" for everyone.  Like you said, though, I can't imagine you being dissappointed with the SFs.  Buyer's remorse is a difficult thing.  There are many examples of a person buying what they thought was the best speaker, DAC, amp or whatever that they could afford, only to discover something better, and maybe even cheaper, shortly after.  The key is getting the best performance out of the gear you choose, and just enjoying listening to music.

I feel your pain, it took me about a year, driving all over the place, to find a pair of speakers that hit "the sweet spot".

One thing about the postings here, and the reviews you'll read is that they are all "opinions", and each and every one of us hears differently, has different tastes and so I'd say, the only opinion that matters is yours!

I would recommend you listen to the speakers for a reasonable amount of time.  In my opinion, spending some "quality time" with an individual speaker makes a lot of sense, as in my search, a speaker that "knocked my socks off" at my first listening turned out to have a slight "edginess" which made me unable to enjoy them for very long at a sitting.

Good luck!
@mobius,
I would take 333jeffrey up on his offer. There is nothing like auditioning in someone's home. You'll get to see his setup and get some ideas on what you like sound and equipment-wise.
I was lucky to have been in NYC in the '80s and got to visit many dealers.
I got to see those that shared my interest, those who only wanted a quick sale, and those who thought their recommendations were the final answer.
If you do get to visit, give them an advanced warning that you are coming and would like to audition. The good ones will accommodate you and let you listen to your hearts' desire. 
So, what did I eventually decide upon?
Well, it took 30+ years, but I finally got my Vandersteen Treo's with subs and a pair of Atma-Sphere amps and MP-3 preamp. I use the Bluesound Node with an Ayre Codex to stream music from Spotify. I haven't used my extensive CD collection since I went digital-there is so much out there, that I don't need to listen to them anymore.
Practically all my equipment is used, most bought here on Audiogon.
I have to say this is a great place to meet fellow audionuts.
Feel free to PM me.
Bob
@gdnrbob

Hey bob,

Great post.

@mobiusmu

If shows and dealers are not doable, accepting others offers to come and listen is a great idea. And you just may make a great new friend in the process.