Crazy to buy a 17 year old CD Player?

My ARC CD2 just died...I think the laser finally gave up the ghost.  Any how I've got thousands of red book CDs in my library and need a replacement player.  I'm thinking an ARC CD 3MKII or the Mark Levinson 390S.  Am I crazy to be thinking this?  Got a budget of around $2000.00.  My system, though dated, is made up of higher end stuff: ARC 25 pre amp, ARC VT 150 mono amps, VPI TNT IV, Wilson Witts, all running through Transparent Reference (Balanced).
cmcdaniel5
I had an ARC CD-2 for several years and enjoyed it the entire time. I have auditioned the subsequent ARC models and have observed the improvement in performance at each level. The ARC CD-2 unit, however, is still relevant in as much as it has a very balanced and non-fatiguing character. If you like it and can find a way to get it fixed, I would stay with something you know you will enjoy. 
What is your budget ?  Mike at Audio Archon turned me on to the 
Lumin steaming player .you can stream or has plugged directly in 
The  Lumin D-1 is exceptionally well balanced, if you buy the outboard
LINEAR tube Audio PS it takes it to a Very high level. It will please over 90% of Audiophiles even many of  the doubters That never heard it.for under $2400,with Super PS.it does most of  Everything pretty well.
At least give it a read, then a listen.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/281960796364?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Quick Google search reveals this is the one used in the CD2 - do your homework though !  but for $ 22 you might be able to get it going again - these are not difficult to replace if your handy - if not have a skilled tech do it for you.

Best of luck

Peter
Yes it's crazy to buy an old CD player.  They one of the audio pieces that actually move and are subject to wear and tear.  That and the argument re: older technology, especially the DAC.

lose the cd player all together and get something like the blue sound vault 2 and a good DAC there are others out there depending on your budget but CD players are dead tech.

hell Vinyl is out selling CD's now for the last couple years.