Oppo UDP - 205

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-205/
unsound
I have the OPPO 205 plugged into the balanced inputs of a MAC MA7900. The audio output stage of the OPPO is about as sophisticated as they get with exceptional DACS. Can't say that I have heard a better CD player. When combined with the UHD Blu
Ray capability it has to be one of the best buys on the market.
They (OPPO) are simply the best at innovation. Have had many of their products. They know industrial design and are well aware of how their products will be used. 

@browndt

+1
But have you had an opportunity to compare the sound of the 205 to any multi-ladder r2r DAC? And if so, which one(s) and what is your opinion(s)?

@gdhal

From the Oppo 205 manual:

"Due to copyright restrictions, SACD audio cannot be sent through the coaxial or optical digital audio output. To listen to SACDs, please use the HDMI or analog audio connections."

"Due to bandwidth limitations, high resolution audio formats such as Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution and DTS-HD Master Audio cannot be sent through the coaxial or optical digital audio output. A reduced resolution version of the same audio track will be output instead. To listen to high resolution audio formats in their best quality, please use the HDMI connection..."

This pretty much rules out copying SACDs to a Tascam DA-3000. Although perhaps this could be done through an in-line HDMI-to-USB converter? However, the purpose of those devices is typically to convert from USB to HDMI, supported by a PC-connected software driver.  Not sure whether the conversion could be bidirectional.   

@dgarretson 

Thanks for pointing that out. I did write "Just going on memory and if I’m not mistaken..." Guess I'm mistaken :)  
Well, what happens when you use the Oppo PCM digital outs to the Tascam a red error message pops up on the Tascam saying copying is illegal. But, if you place the Tascam in the record/pause mode before getting that message then you can copy it.

I have also just used the analog outs from the Oppo.  Reminder this is already an upgraded quality (albeit 16/44) signal from the Oppo Dacs. I then set the Tascam record resolution to 24/96 or 24/192hz. That copy actually comes out very good. I mean after all the analog outputs is really what we amplify and listen to, isn’t it?

ozzy