Oppo UDP - 205

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-205/
unsound

Showing 27 responses by ozzy

I received the Oppo 205 Yesterday. I watched Lucy in 4K. Very nice picture and sound quality.

ozzy

dynaquest4,

Your comments sound like when 1080 HD was released.

I see a huge difference in 4K picture quality. The video looks more natural with deep colors etc. Of course that always depends upon how the source video was created.

ozzy

ei001h,

I too have had several 4K discs freeze up on my new 205. Oppo (Chris) says it is due to defective discs. I don’t know if I completely agree with that. I remember years ago I had a Sonic Frontiers transport that had problems playing discs. Another Chris (Johnson) said it was due to bad red book CD’s. Turns out the player had lots of problems reading discs.

ozzy

Well I have had the Oppo 205 for a few months now and conclude it is the best "swiss army knife" player ever made. 4K movies are amazing! Surround sound analog from the Oppo with these movies is quite impressive
For music, the cool thing is even with my 4TB external hard drive connected to my Bryston BDP-2 the Oppo picks it up from my router and can play the music through the Oppo outputs. The only draw back is I must turn on my 85" UHD Samsung to access the track listings. There appears to be no way to access the Oppo wirelessly through my laptop.
I think there is an app for a cell phone but with my vision I probably couldn’t read it.
ozzy

dbphd,

I bought the Samsung 85" 4K a couple of years ago. (Cost $10,000 then but they are about $1000 less now).
Recently I purchased the Samsung evolution kit bringing it up to current status including deep blacks and color. Wow, its like a new set! So, I would assume that the newer models already have these features installed.
I will say it takes a little effort to get the settings right. New from the box or in the stores everything is peaked for a bright picture. But once you get it locked in its impressive.
I also found that Monoprice certified 4K HDMI cables to be better than the other $$$ cables from Wireworld.

milpai,

I would also go for option #2. Spend more money on your speakers.

ozzy
dlcockrum,

I read the review that you referred to "Sonica Dac".
First off, the reviewer doesn’t state what actual dac’s are in it.
Second, it doesn’t show if they are using the digital or analog outs.
Third, he doesn’t state the equipment he used it with.
So, that review is suspect and would not necessary apply to the newer Oppo 205.

ozzy

dlcockrun,

For my 2 channel listening I am using a PS Direct Stream Dac with the latest firmware.

I have not directly compared the PS Direct Stream with the Oppo 205 yet due to system configuration. (My 2 channel is a ways away from my home theater equipment.) but I will soon.

I guess my problem with the review you mentioned is this:
Is the audio being processed through the Oppo Sonica Dac or is the digital output used and sent to another unit for digital/analog conversion?
The reviewer never states and that could make a world of difference. In my opinion it is a very poor review and I would not put too much importance to it.

Thus far my Oppo 205 with the 7.1 analog outputs far exceeds my Oppo 95 which received many great audio reviews.
And, I would believe it to be a very good 2 channel stand alone player. Perhaps not to the level of the PS Direct Stream or the Ayre
But what a price difference!

ozzy

For HDMI video the cable that produces an outstanding picture quality is the Monoprice Certified 4k cables. They are not too expensive and I compared them to the top of the line Wireworld, the Monoprice certified 4K is better.
With my Oppo 205 I am using the analog outs.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427
ozzy 

My Oppo 205 with Video connected via HDMI to my Samsung 85" UHD has no drop outs.
But, I am using the Oppo analog outs to utilize the Oppo superior DAC over the Denon Receiver.
ozzy
a25105,
I still haven't connected the Oppo 205 to my 2 channel system to compare it to the PS Direct Stream. But I will perhaps next week.

dbphd,
I am using Dish, way better picture and sound quality over my previous Comcast.

Personally, I would not buy anything from Schiit. I was treated badly and charged 50% of the purchase price for a return on an item that I only had for 2 weeks and was like new when it was returned. Albeit the item was  originally about $150 but 50% was a bit much for restocking, shipping, customer service etc. charges. Never again, there name is appropriate...

ozzy

a25105,

Well I finally did a head to head test between the Oppo 205 XLR analog outs and my Bryston BDP-2 / PS Audio Direct Stream Dac analog outs with the latest Huron firmware. Both were playing the exact same songs from the same external hard drive.

There really was no contest, notes were fuller and more life like with the PS Audio. Music was way more defined with the ability to pick out individual instruments. The Oppo 205 played well and I could see it being used as a all purpose player/Dac until it is compared to much more serious equipment.
The Oppo perhaps has about 100 hours of playing time on it so it will get better. However, the gap is way too large to change my opinion.

But, for such a ("Swiss army knife") device the Oppo 205 is great. Play your 4K/Blu Ray movies using the Oppo's analog outs instead of the HDMI/Digital outs and you'll see what I mean. What fantastic surround qualities. And the video...
The only problem is the over head Atmos channels can't be used with the analog outs.

ozzy

a25105,
lancelock is probably right about the Modwright mod improving the sound quality of the 205. But if you add the cost of the mod to the cost of the player, it is getting close to the PS Direct Stream territory.

If the PS Dac is a 10 then the 205 in stock form would be about a 6. 

I didn't buy the Oppo 205 for 2 channel listening since I already owned the PS Audio Dac. I bought it to play 4K movies and to record the Hi-Rez audio from Blu ray concerts to my external hard drive

ozzy

dbphd,

I own a Tascam 3000 recorder.
First I record to a SD card then transfer that to my hard drive via my laptop. I transferred my SACD's and DVD's also to the hard drive.
ozzy
Well, what happens when you use the Oppo PCM digital outs to the Tascam a red error message pops up on the Tascam saying copying is illegal. But, if you place the Tascam in the record/pause mode before getting that message then you can copy it.

I have also just used the analog outs from the Oppo.  Reminder this is already an upgraded quality (albeit 16/44) signal from the Oppo Dacs. I then set the Tascam record resolution to 24/96 or 24/192hz. That copy actually comes out very good. I mean after all the analog outputs is really what we amplify and listen to, isn’t it?

ozzy

Ok, you’ve got my attention.
I went ahead an ordered the mod from oppo.
ozzy
csontos,
I ordered the SE version too!
Is the transformer different in the SE version?
ozzy

csontos,

I just installed the 205 mod. I also added a Synergistic black fuse and a couple of the sonic tonic bottles.
I figured out the instructions so if anyone needs help let me know.

ozzy
milpai,

I sure will after I have some hours on it. I must say this mod includes a very large transformer, usually that translates to better sound so we shall see...

ozzy
Yesterday I watched the movie "The Resident Evil- Final Chapter" and wow there was some fantastic dynamic  surround sounds.

Today for the first time I started listening to the Oppo 205 via 2 channel with the upgraded power supply.
First impression; definitely a stronger bass presentation and a wide stereo separation. I only have about 20 hours of playing time with the mod so we shall see how it develops.

ozzy
Well here is my first review of the Oppo 205 with the power supply mod and with the 2 channel balanced outputs.

It is definitely an improvement over the stock power supply.
First off there is much greater bass with better definition.
Second the general dynamics are impressive.
Third, the stereo separation is wide not much deeper though.
And finally the general frequency response has been improved from the lowest lows to the upper frequencies.

So now I have compared this modified Oppo 205 to my main system; which consists of a Bryston BDP-2 ($3000) and PS Audio Direct Stream Dac ($6000) and a Mutec ($1000) for a total of $10,000 of equipment.

Results: The modified Oppo 205 competes in most areas except in soundstage depth and the space between instruments. If the original Oppo 205 was a 6 compared to my main system, the power supply mod brings it up to maybe a 7 or perhaps 8.
It should be noted that along with the power supply mod I also installed a Synergistic black fuse and 2 of the Tweek Geeks Sonic Tonic bottles inside the Oppo 205.

ozzy
Perhaps I was a little too kind on the Oppo 205 mod with my comparison to my main system.
A longer comparison reveals that my main system has solid images that sound 3d and are more enjoyable. The Oppo 205 in comparison has cut out versions of those images compared to my main system.

But, look at the price differences! For the price the Oppo 205 and the updated mod power supply should satisfy many.

ozzy

I bought the Oppo 205 primarily to watch 4K movies with the 7 channel analog outputs. It is fantastic for that purpose and even better with the power supply mod.
Finally, with this mod I was able to put in a SR Black fuse. (The standard Oppo 205 design has the fuse soldered in). But, to ever replace that fuse the whole unit has to be taken apart again.
So, if the fuse ever blows I will install an external fuse holder like I did with my Oppo 95.

If you are thinking that the Oppo competes with the best of Dacs it does sort of, but the difference is still quite noticeable.

ozzy

csontos,

It looks like the upgrades you are referring to only affects the 2 channel, is that true?

ozzy

rstone.

The LPM SE for the 205 is fairly easy if your not afraid of taking it apart. There are a lot of screws to take out.
 Perhaps take pictures before and as you disassemble.
But, it is basically a direct drop in for the Oppo board and can be easily reversed if you want to sell it. Upgrade the fuse while your in there with a SR Blue fuse.

It takes a while for the new breakin of the caps and such but I think it is well worth the cost and time. 

ozzy