Tekton Double Impact & Comb Filtering

Like many of you, I have been pondering purchasing these speakers but am very curious about the unusual tweeter array. I asked the smartest speaker person that I know (he is a student of Sean Olive) about the design and below is what he had to say.   

"In theory it could work, but the driver spacing means that the crossover point would need to be very low.
He is using the SB acoustics tweeter which is 72mm in diameter, center to center on the outside opposing drivers is around 5.7 inches, which is about 2400Hz. This means that combing would stop between 1/4 to 1/2 of the wavelength (between 1200-600Hz) is where the outside tweeters should start playing nice with each other.
Since he is not using low enough crossover points he has created a comb filtering monster. Now while it's not the great point source that was promised, it's no worse than most line arrays and the combing will average itself out given enough listening distance.

The MTM spacing on the other hand is ridiculous. Hopefully he is cutting the top end off on one of those midrange drivers to avoid combing."

seanheis1
kalali,

When I purchased my pair they had a set on their specials page that were ready to ship the same day.I got a upgraded black metallic paint finish,they were reduced slightly because of 2 super tiny flaws in the paint,you have to be within 6 inches to see them.I understand from others that the average wait is 3 to 4 weeks including shipping time,but that may vary depending on finish ordered.

Onhwy61,

The upgrades are explained in detail if you view the double impact speaker from the drop down that is located in the full tower section.

Now I know Tekton doesn't have the best website and needs more info maybe that will get better in time.

Kenny.

Thank you guys. I see he has a few DI pairs listed under the "Specials", most with upgrades. I'm still baffled with how efficient these gentle giants are...

Kenny - They must sound incredible paired with your LTA gear.

kalali,

The efficiency comes from the combination of,
Drivers used
crossover design
cabinet internal volume
4 ohm impedance 

And a touch of designer brilliance IMO.

They do sound simply wonderful in my system,the best sound I've ever owned and rivals many super high end systems that I've heard.
I guess that is why you can see I'm so passionate about them.

I sent you a pm a few days ago,I don't know if you got it.

Kenny.

Thanks for the info.

I imagine nearly everyone orders the DIs with the upgraded wiring, terminals and crossover components.

I know the DI speaker quite well,
I have upgraded every part in the crossovers except the coil on the woofers.

I know every crossover point from testing and confirming the points with the crossover design.

I have upgraded all 4 10 inch woofers to a better match for me.Enter your text ...

Just curious, if the DI sound so great why all the changes..changing out all the woofers and upgrading completely the crossovers.What didn't you like,missing or want to hear ,and what drivers did you go with