Audio Physic Virgo I (or Virgo II): still considered a very good or great speaker?

Audiogon offers a large variety of USED speaker of varying ages and design. I am curious if speakers like the above are still considered viable in terms of audiophile sound quality. I ask because any purchase of so-called "vintage" speakers  pose a risk in terms of performance and sound quality, especially against newer technology speakers

I have heard the Virgo I about 15 years ago and liked it very much, and every time a pair come up on AG or e-bay,  I am tempted to buy them, even a  VG pair especially considering the large body of positive reviews and testimonials.  However,  I always nixed the urge to buy them new because I thought the original  retail price was overinflated which subsequently pushed the RESALE price up.  I have seen decent pairs for pairs for sale for $1500-1800; however, my intuition tells me that they are worth no more than $1100 even in near mint condition. 

I guess I am basically asking....is it really worth it to buy used speakers approx.15 years old, no matter how much they have been praised .,or pursue newer speakers and speaker technology  

Thanks, S.J 

sunnyjim
The version I is supposed to be more desirable, and there was a pair here that I was looking at a couple of months ago, but there was a dent in one of the drivers, so I decided against it. They are supposed to do some great staging tricks, and be a really good speaker overall.  
I've owned Virgo IIIs years ago. All Virgo's are very good with imaging and presenting a decent soundstage. 
FWIW....

I've had 3 different AP speakers in my house - the original Virgo 2s (I believe the model reviewed by Michael Fremer), after that the Audio Physic Libra, and a few years ago the Audio Physic Scorpios. 

I have always loved AP speakers and still do.  (Just listened to the newest Avanti recently and they are fantastic).

I first heard the Virgo 2s in a variety of places and they were the first speaker I'd encountered that did both tremendous detail, incredible soundstaging with a sense of warm, organic tone.  At least back then, that was very, very rare, and an incredibly seductive combination.

Like a number of people, I think the Virgo 2 had a somewhat goldilocks like "magical" tone that was lost in the later versions.  Part of it probably had to do with the fact Joachim Gerhard didn't design the subsequent versions of the Virgos.  Another contributor I always thought the move to the ring-radiator tweeter in the later versions from the original aluminum dome tweeter actually didn't help.  There was something about the original which had this combination of organic paper-cone midrange with just a bit of "golden shine" on top that made for a mesmerizing tone on the Virgo 2.  (Especially when paired with a nice tube amp - I used Conrad Johnson).  It lost that magic in the subsequent Virgos IMO.

I didn't keep the Virgos because I could never quite totally listen around a mid-bass warmth, a slight burr, that I could never get rid of (and which I heard in stores as well).   Other owners don't seem to mind it, or maybe got rid of it (Fremer says he never quite got rid of it, but didn't mind it).

The follow up Audio Physic Libra finally got rid of it - it went lower, with more punch, power and pitch control.  It didn't have *quite* that last drop of magic the virgo 2 had in the midrange/highs, but still retained that Audio Physic warm woody tone.  Loved it when I had it.

The Scorpios are a terrific AP speaker if you see one for sale as well.  They are punchier, more linear and richer sounding than the older AP speakers.  Though also just a bit more darker toned to my ears - "brown" vs "blonde" in sonic color, to my ears. 

Anyway, it's been a long time since I had the virgos but those were my impressions.  I'd think they would still be worth a try.  When a speaker is a classic, like the virgo 2, there's usually a reason.

Nice summary, prof.

You and I are of the same mind on the Joachim Gerhard magic.  I think his AP designs remain at least as good as most of what's come down the pike since.  At the normal $1500 asking price, the Virgos are an obvious answer for anyone with high-end taste that will not or can not spend today's prices.

As for me, I love the imaging and overall sound.  They also still look great.  Only reservation is that they can sound a bit hot or difficult to live with in 1) certain rooms or 2) paired with some ancillaries.

Also want to mention to its little brother, the AP Tempo, as possessing incredible sound at an even lower price.
I had a pair of Virgos in my room years ago for an audio club meeting.  While the bass was a little problematical in my room (purely a room interaction that made it a little too warm), they did have that magic the others above are talking about. As far as pricing, I'd look at it this way--what could you get new for the $1500 price of the Virgos?  I'd dare say that they'd be an absolute bargain at that price, if in good condition.