Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
Thanks Fellas, I'll keep my eyes open for some 2.7, 3.7 . they sometimes show up on craigslist in Twin Cities.
I noticed a lot of you like maggies, As I sit here 5 miles from factory although I loved the 4 prs I had I just had to give up on them as dynamic range was not there for Symphonic . Loud ain't the same thing .
michaeljbrown,

My 3.7's are:

7.10 inches apart.  Face mostly straight ahead.

6 1/2 feet from speakers to my head.

And they sound even better if I lean in a bit more.  I keep wanting to go more nearfield :-)

BTW, as to setting up: With the Thiels, as with just about every other speaker I've owned, I prefer not to have them toed in toward me.
Of course the more toed in they are, the more focused the image and the more brilliant the high frequencies become.   But what I perceive is a brightening sort of across the whole sound - sort of like there is a whitening applied to everything.  It's exciting to the ear, but to me individual timbral qualities start to actually homogenize somewhat with this bright scrim sprayed over everything.  As I toe out that "whiteness" starts to dissolve, the deeper tones of, say, an acoustic guitar, come more into view, the sound gets a bit fuller, the imaging more rich and spacious. 

But I don't like a "dark" rolled off sound - I like a believably extended airy top end.

So I play with toe in and my distance from the speaker to maintain a believable sparkle (e.g. acoustic guitar, drum cymbals etc) but also get that richness of higher midrange info.   This is also where moving closer to the speakers comes in to play.  From a greater distance, you get more "detail" by toing the speaker in, getting that high frequency energy.  But, again, to me it sounds more "hi-fi."  As I move closer to nearfield, yet toeing the speakers outward, I'm not getting "hyped" type of detail of bright frequencies, but rather I'm reducing room induced influence and hash, getting closer to the recording, and therefore hearing that super low level detail in the recording.  So for instance, a recording of acoustic guitar will be more relaxed, fuller, with a more natural sense of detail where I just hear the sound of fleshy fingers plucking strings as I would real life, not "hi-fi."

But, it's not for everyone.  I think you get the greatest dynamics, "punch" and bass depth when further away from the speakers.  Fortunately the Thiels are by nature pretty dynamic, and keep a lot of that character even when moved close.

Hey fellas ,
How much of the magic would I lose with 2.3'? I see there is a pr locally .
Prof, I'm running out of cable when I move these CS6's to me: I guess I need to move to them. Also, moving these 140 lb beasts is not an easy task! I do like them further from the back wall: now I have them 63" from the back walls & 8ft apart. My room is 27' x 18 with two big skylights and a fireplace! How's that for room dynamics? I really like these 6's.  I see no need to spring for 3.7's; I have noticed my bass improving with the move. The more room behind the speakers, the more bass I'm getting.
Much Thanks! William,

I can hardly await for your proper review when the time is right.
I really must look into that Ginger Baker disc!

Happy Listening!