Why no tube loaner/testdrives--It's hard being an audiophile

I just wanted to vent for a moment. I'm going to quote my wife and file this under "It's hard being an audiophile" as there is some absurdity to the fact that I view this issue as a real life problem.

The issue: 

My Primaluna integrated amp has 6 premp tubes and 8 power tubes.  While the unit makes tube rolling a snap, it's (a) difficult to find or at reasonable prices NOS tubes in larger batches; (b) reissue or new tubes cost a bunch to experiment with. 

For example, if I want to swap in a set of Gold Lion KT77 power tubes (I've already tried the stock EL34s and Mullard re-issues), it's a small fortune to do so.  I think the GL KT77 may be the ticket, yet making another expenditure to find out seems pricey.  I wish I could borrow a set and pay a tryout fee, as opposed to spending $400 on a set. 
128x128jbhiller

To get serious for just a minute, you probably don’t need the best preamp tubes in all 6 positions on your Primaluna. Someone can tell you which positions make the biggest difference in the sound.

For example, my Aesthetix Calypso has a voltage amplifier tube and an output tube (I think also called a driver tube) in each channel. The voltage amplifier tube has the biggest impact on the sound and Jim White (owner of Aesthetix) has told me to get the best voltage amplifier tubes I can. The output tubes can be of lesser quality.

Back to the spirit of the thread, maybe we can convince The Cable Company to put together a tube library for us.

And just be glad you didn't buy an Einstein preamp.  It's got 19 tubes in it.

You need more Audiophile friends! So you can each trade tubes and spread the costs around!  But for me, I don't know a soul who is interested in stereo. Oh I've got friends who come around to listen to my system, but no one else has a good system. So I feel ya. Now your wife knows what to get you for Christmas for the next 5 years! New tube sets. It takes a long time, but in just 5 years you'll have a heck of a tube collection! 

It's pretty sad when the tubes cost more than the amp . Tubes costs nickels when used for other electrical devices . Stick with new production and block out nos from your mind . You might stay sane that way .
I purchased my tube preamp (only 1 tube per channel, 1 rectifier tube) and power amps (monoblocks with only 2 power tubes, 1 input tube, 1 driver tube each) based not only on sound quality but also on minimal number of tubes to minimize the expense of retubing. It is possible to find excellent sounding gear which employ a minimal number of tubes. Not only does my preamp have only 1 tube per channel, but it also has a switch which allows either 6SN7 (usually expensive) or 12SN7 (usually less expensive) tubes. So I can be even more prudent when selecting tubes for it if I wish. For it, I ended up with a pair of inexpensive NOS 12SN7 tubes which sounded just as good as a pair of expensive 6SN7s.