LP 12 Owners-If you were going to buy a new TT ...

While I love the sound of my LP12 when its properly set up, it is a finicky beast which hates to be moved. I have moved with my table three times, and readjusting has always been a bit of a pain. For example, I wish speed was easier to regulate, I wish setting up the correct belt height was not so touchy, I wish my Ekos had adjustable VTA, etc. While not fed up to the point of wanting an immediate change, I do wonder occassionally when I see pictures and reviews of some of the new tables popping up in the market. Wondering if any fellow Linnies have moved on (or are considering moving on) to other designs. What woud top the list for about the same money as a fully decked out LP12 (Ekos, Lingo, Arkiv)?
128x128alexc

First of all there is no such thing as ''the'' LP 12. The newest version

is shameless expensive while one can get a ''decent one'' for, so

to speak, few dollars. I moved first to Audiomeca J1 (P.Lurne)

which was as a kind of liberation. Then I moved to Kuzma Stabi

Reference which is similar to Audiomeca (acryl everywhere, inverted

bearing and 8 kg. platter). What is more the Kuzma was regarded

as one of the best available. However I also own SP-10,mk 2 with

Obsidian plinth + AT 636 pneumathic footers. I am not able to hear

any difference between them while considering the price my advice

should be obvious.

I have had my LP12 for 19 years now. Happy with it. But if I were getting into vinyl now, I would consider a VPI Prime or if the funds allowed, an SME
have a Linn since 1981 and over 2000 vinyls and I listen to it every chance I have....plays nice and I'm still happy with it. The records I have are ones which I have bought in the late 60's-80. and have bought them for the music. If I didn't like the record I would not kept it.....theLP12 have played all my records properly for 36 years...maybe I will sell it but to buy what? BTW I have cirkus, and lingo the Linn in the 90's and recently had the Ittok rewired and a new cable....I have learned to setup myself when needed and I'm better than most dealers as I felt they never did a good job.  The LP12 rest on a wall shelve and no need to reajust once it is setup properly. I setup only when I replace the cartridge.
Still have my linn from 27 years ago have done a lot of the upgrades. This table has been a nightmare to keep tuned and maintained. 

Use the 2017 VPI scout which looks like a baby Prime. I can tell you that it's a great improvement over the linn and is virtually maintenance free. Really happy with the combo of the koetsu black 
soundwatts, I strongly suspect that you were either doing the 'upgrades' yourself, or you had a dealer that was 'less than able' in doing it for you.
Once the LP12 is set up correctly it will keep that set up for years. Unfortunately, IF you start to play with the settings and don't know how to set them right, then the statement that you made makes sense.