Mitsubishi DLP problem

If anyone knows what this might be...

I am getting Horizontal lines that run up or down the screen of my Mitsubishi DLP TV. This only happens on any input other than HDMI. With an HDMI source(be it the cable box or dvd player or laptop) the picture is clear. I have tried 3 component sources, 2 dvd player and a cable box, and all display same problem. The effect is similar to a magnetic interference you would get with a tube television if you place something that causes magentic field distortion(unshielded speaker for example).

I suspect the processor or converter or chip or whatever it is called in the DLP tv, is going, or on its way.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
128x128audphile1
$1800? Whoa!

I bet this is one time you're glad to have the extended warranty! I never buy those things myself. guess I've been fortunate. My near never used 61 inch Sony still plays well... but it's old school. 3 9 inch TVs are inside of it... or so the tech said.

The only thing I've had crap out on me since 2K were the Dell PCs I've had, a sony VCR/DVD player, and a chip went out in my 8 yr old Sony es receiver and cost me $125. hearing it after the fix, I was happy to have paid it as it was getting a little fuzzy sounding.... that all changed with the new chip... it sounds as good as new now.

Very good luck with your repair/replacement.
Yeah Jim...The Mits DLPs have a history of this for some reason. A local Gold's GYM bought 27 of them roughly 3 years ago. They were trying to save money so opted out of buying Sony LCD flat panels instead. Well in the last 6 months 13 of them have crapped out with bad light engines!

Guess what..they still in the end bought those Sony LCDs. And will continue to buy them until the last Mits goes out.

Not much money saved this way long term,actually none.If they'd bought the Sony's from the start, chances are all would still be functioning now.
$1800? Hell yeah I am glad I have opted for that extended warranty.

The tech said optical engine and also mumbled some other words that meant very little to me.

Interesting...you are probably right though, optical engine and light engine could be one and the same thing.
I hope they declare it not worth fixing and just give me a credit for the amount, so I can just buy a new 1080p plasma or an LCD, now for the same money I paid for this 1080i DLP tv.
Count your lucky stars on that one then!lol
I've seen Mitsubishi give customers credit towards another TV. Their customer service is pretty darn good most of the time.

I've also seen a few people that got new light engines and were back in less than 6 months with another failure! Talking about pissed off!! The worst part is their warranty had expired by that time.

In a few cases, the dealer was able to talk Mitsubishi into giving the customer a credit towards another Mits purchase..hopefully not a DLP. This is more than what most TV manufactures will do. Especially on a TV that is several years old and completely out of warranty.

Don't hold your breath on a full credit. They may however give you $500 or so. The highest credit I've seen given to a customer was $800. Still not great for a person that spent $4000 on the TV.lol