Phoenix Engineering Falcon and Eagle

Read a one-liner in a different forum related to Phoenix operations.  Tried to access their website without success. 

Are they still around?
bpoletti
Does anyone know if the new ADS combines speed control with speed monitoring?
Does anyone know if the new ADS combines speed control with speed monitoring?
The current ADS model does not, but VPI is working on a deluxe model which reportedly will have some form of speed monitoring and correction.
Speed monitoring is probably not necessary as long as there is sufficient motor torque.  Reduction of the voltage to the motor will reduce the pulses in the belt drive.  THAT is the real issue.  That can be addressed with a small variostat.  No speed variation even running at 70 volts. 
I think it depends upon what one thinks is necessary.  Before the Roadrunner few people monitored TT speed carefully over periods of time.  If nothing else, belts wear out or stretch.  Then there is a bit of disagreement as to whether absolute speed accuracy is important.  But I think there is consensus on the effects of table warm-up, for example.  I recall HW writing not to do serious listening until the table has been going for 30 minutes or so for the reason that, unmonitored, the turntable will not reach its long-term speed setting for a while.  Then there's stylus drag; don't know how great an issue..

FWIW I don't think the variostat will address inconsistencies in the power line frequency.

For me the best thing about this "monitoring and correction" is that is just one more thing I never have to think about.  As the man said, "Just set it and forget it."  So I can obsess about everything else.
After I got the Eagle and RR, I tested my setup, (1) without the Eagle and RR, (2) with only the Eagle AC regeneration, and (3) with the Eagle/RR feedback correction.

What I found was that the stock motor (VPI Scout II) was inherently stable to 33.3RPM, just not to the 0.00 precision because of fluctuations in the power coming from the wall. Adding the Eagle and its power regeneration led to a steady 33.33RPM with a narrower fluctuation in the 0.000 range, sometimes hitting 33.333RPM. So that proves the stock motor runs properly when fed proper 60Hz power from the wall and when the motor is located properly from the table. Connecting the Eagle/RR with feedback made the fluctuation much more tighter in the 0.000 range, hitting 33.333RPM for longer periods of time.  Audible?  Depends on who you ask but I noticed a difference (not night and day, but identifiable) .  YMMV.