Budget Audiophile Looking For Amplifier Suggestions

Hi All,

I'm looking suggestions for a high quality ss 2-channel amplifier (120-150 WPC) made between 1998-2005 that may have sold for $2000-3000 but today would go for $800-$1100. What would you be looking for?

Best Regards,
Mike
mikte15
For a used power amp, another vote for Sunfire.
Sunfire 300 Load Invariant... circa 1998, $700 to 1000.
Sunfire 300-Two amp ... 2004, upgraded design. $900 to $1100

Often found on Ebay. Will drive any speaker.
yogiboy,

Good question!

I've had good experiences buying nearly top shelf items of that era paying between 1/10 and 1/4 of the MSRP (back then) and it's still recent enough not to need a complete overhaul.

For years I've used vintage components that I rehabbed myself but I'm looking to get more recent.

I'll be 60 next summer and getting into the home stretch till retirement so I'm trying to be frugal.  I don't mind taking a risk on older components if I can get them at a good price because I've already done a good deal of electrical repair.

I definitely want components made either in US, Canada, or Japan.  That leaves a lot of the newer items out.

However, I just checked and see Van Alstine is made in the US, so thanks for the tip.
Another vote for the Sunfire . It is musical , Powerful , Refined . It just sounds like music .
I can echo all the recommendations for the Sunfire as well. Just took possession of one yesterday and it is very musical indeed.

My personal favorite integrated is Vincent SV237 hybrid integrated. It gives you 150 wpc @ 8 ohm and 250 wpc @ 4 ohm. I have their SP331 hybrid amp and I think their products are underrated. A very overall neutral sound with nice punchy bass. Brand new $2500.