Class D Technology

So I get the obvious strengths of Class D. Efficiency, power output & running cool which allows for small form factors. I also understand the weaknesses somewhat. 1. Non-linear & lots of distortion that needs to be cleaned up with an output filter. 
So my question is, if it weren't for efficiency & power, would there be any reason to own a Class D amp? Do they beat Class A in any other categories that count for sound quality?  
seanheis1
One of our audiogon friends uses class D amp (H20) with Apogee Scintilla in 1 ohm mode with great results.
Then I feel sorry for this person as he has never heard his Scintilla’s at their best. It may work, but at their best?? FAR FROM IT!
As they are a great speaker and should be driven with the right amp and Class-D is definitely, absolutely, not one of them, not yet anyway, give it some time and in the future it will be.

Cheers George
It happens that this person (muralman1) knows everything there is to know about Scintillas and he adores them with class D amp. Nice try :(

randy-11
It sounds like a Class D amp would be best for a sub-woofer, based on a comment above
If the new MOSFET designs will be out (as products) soon, I would not want to sink too many $$ into an amp right now...
You are correct Randy, really good for bass
Technics have lead the way and developed a very expensive one
http://www.technics.com/us/products/r1/se-r1.html
with double the switching frequency as it is today @ 1.5mhz. This is a step in the right direction, but it really needs to get to around 5mhz before the right effective filtering can be done, and then able to get rid of todays Achilles heel that Class-D has.

So just go the cheaper not so glitzy ClassD’s if you want to dabble in it, or even do your own clone if you or a friend are able, and purchase the Icepower/Hypex?etc modules and the power supply modules they sell. They are very much a pluggable build to do, hardly maybe no soldering to do.

Cheers George
Before you offer your "expertise" get things right  - mhz is millihertz, proper unit is MHz (megahertz).  Keep posting - you might learn something one day.
"One of our audiogon friends uses class D amp (H20) with Apogee Scintilla in 1 ohm mode with great results."

georgelofi:

"Then I feel sorry for this person as he has never heard his Scintilla’s at their best. It may work, but at their best?? FAR FROM IT!"

Hi George,

My good friend Glen, a BIG tube fan, has the best sounding Apogee-based system I have heard (and that is more than a few). Had the Carver K-120 monos, then Kronzilla Mark II monos, and now living very happily with two H20 Class D stereo amps from Henry Ho running bi-amped into his Scintillas.

Proof is in the hearing and not found in blanket statements unfairly encompassing hundreds of products with one fell stroke. Glen’s Kronzillas are for sale if you are interested.

Best to you George,
Dave