Bookshelf speakers on a budget

Hi, I'm looking for suggestions for a decent pair of bookshelf speakers. However I'm on a budget in the $400-$500 range; I know this is a low dollar amount but it's all I can afford right now. If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate them.

Thanks 
hfarrior3
Look at the Tannoy Mercury lineup - good value and performance.

Quite neutral and well balanced.

Depending on the model you may find a sub will provide significant improvements without the need for those floor-standers

Regards...
Want to build it yourself? The LM-1 or Jeff Bagby's Continuum are in your price range.  Figure you'll end up with speakers worth $1,500 to $2,500 speakers for the same spend.

I have no financial interest in you building either, but I did design the LM-1 and would love to have more people building them.

If you absolutely must buy, used Monitor Audio Silvers.

Best,

Erik
I have to agree with Williewonka and Sbank. I have owned the Tannoy Mercury M2 speakers a couple of years ago and they are a VERY musical speaker and if you can find them they will hit your budget. A sub may be needed. When I had the Mercury M2 powered by a Hafler DH500 and the bass was good but the highs were so so. Like stated above you may need a sub.

Years later I just couldn't resist the ELAC Debut B6 speakers because of the price and buzz around them. With a pair of Red Dragon M1000 monoblock amps they were wonderful sounding. I felt the air coming out of those ports when I cranked up the volume. With a Jolida JD502P tube amp the B6 speakers were almost as nice. A little more warm in the top end.

YMMV and good luck with the search.
Dali Zensor.Zensor1 if you have a really small room,Zensor3 will give you BIG bass but will need a bit more room to breathe.BOTH will give you a wonderfuly musical presentation with excellent imaging & sound staging!