Life without a remote

I am considering a pre-amp that has no remote. As I sit here listening to music, I have adjusted the volume multiple times in just the last few minutes. I adjust so I can pretend I'm listening to my wife when she tries to talk to me. I adjust for different songs. I adjust in the middle of a song. I tweak to get just the right level from my listening spot.

So for those of you that don't have a remote or don't use one - how do you do it? Is there an adjustment period? Is listening more enjoyable because you can't easily play with the volume?
maineiac
In 1980, my Navy roommate (uncle Chuck) and I were approached by a salesman putting the hard sell on us to buy a remote controlled tv.

Chuck acted very annoyed, stared the guy down and said in a stern voice 'sir, the day I am too dang lazy to tell my wife and kids to adjust the tv- I'll buy one!'

Uncle Chuck was a funny guy..,,
About two years ago I was looking for a preamp to replace  my McCormack RLD 1 preamp , which was no slouch to begin with.  It was a full featured remote pre,  although I never really like it's digital volume I did appreciate it having a remote.  I came across the Conrad Johnson Classic 2SE,  a stripped down pre, no remote,  just a source selector and conventional volume control.   I had some reservation about going from a fully remote pre to such a stripped down design.  After listing to it in what was probably a $50k system it was clear that this pre was a keeper and that sound not features were more important.  On top of that several of my sources had remote variable line out so when I was too lazy to get my ass off the couch I could still at least control the volume.   I could have maybe stretched my budget and bought an ET3 but I wanted an SE with upgraded Teflon caps and Vishay resistors, which was $1500 more than the base SE. For me the Classic was just what I was looking for, I don't regret it one bit.    
Years ago I thought I might design a remote called the "Knobulater." A small box with a pulley which allows a rubber belt to run from it to the volume knob…controlled by a remote to drive the belt and switch direction. Zero degradation except to my dignity if the thing failed. Clearly, I was (and am) too lazy to follow through with this, but hey…there ya go.