Life without a remote

I am considering a pre-amp that has no remote. As I sit here listening to music, I have adjusted the volume multiple times in just the last few minutes. I adjust so I can pretend I'm listening to my wife when she tries to talk to me. I adjust for different songs. I adjust in the middle of a song. I tweak to get just the right level from my listening spot.

So for those of you that don't have a remote or don't use one - how do you do it? Is there an adjustment period? Is listening more enjoyable because you can't easily play with the volume?
maineiac
About two years ago I was looking for a preamp to replace  my McCormack RLD 1 preamp , which was no slouch to begin with.  It was a full featured remote pre,  although I never really like it's digital volume I did appreciate it having a remote.  I came across the Conrad Johnson Classic 2SE,  a stripped down pre, no remote,  just a source selector and conventional volume control.   I had some reservation about going from a fully remote pre to such a stripped down design.  After listing to it in what was probably a $50k system it was clear that this pre was a keeper and that sound not features were more important.  On top of that several of my sources had remote variable line out so when I was too lazy to get my ass off the couch I could still at least control the volume.   I could have maybe stretched my budget and bought an ET3 but I wanted an SE with upgraded Teflon caps and Vishay resistors, which was $1500 more than the base SE. For me the Classic was just what I was looking for, I don't regret it one bit.    
Years ago I thought I might design a remote called the "Knobulater." A small box with a pulley which allows a rubber belt to run from it to the volume knob…controlled by a remote to drive the belt and switch direction. Zero degradation except to my dignity if the thing failed. Clearly, I was (and am) too lazy to follow through with this, but hey…there ya go.
The only time I can live without a remote is when Im playing DJ at a party using my PA equipment and standing in reach. Or when the electronics are within reach from my lazy-boy seat. I set my analog tuner up on my coffee table right next to me since I'm a channel surfer.