Spotify Premium vs Tidal ... opinions?

50's,60,s be-bop jazz, movie themes, vocals, old rock (Cream, Doors, King Crimson)...(newer rock AC DC, Led Zeppelin)

amps... Quicksilver 90 Watt Silver monos, Quicksilver LS preamp

speakers... Fritz prototype stand mounts, ScanSpeak 5" Illuminator mid/bass & ScanSpeak 9700 tweeters, Skylan stands... 12x15 room

dac... Musical Fidelity M1 A

Thanks
zoot45
Before just settle on USB to dac (note, many dacs DO NOT have USB so you need to add yet another device in the line, and more cables.. more expense for a poorer interface-an interface effected by every single function your PC will perform, and USB was created for peripherials, not music...and sound cards were specifically designed for music, not attaching a printer), just try a spdif solution.  I love how everyone just goes to USB and swears its the best, never trying spdif, which is so much better, I chuckle.  
TIDAL sounded quite a bit better via coax from my Squeezebox Touch into my DAC than it did via USB from my Macbook Air to the same DAC.

The Touch isn't made any more, but for a replacement I would look at an Auralic Aries or Aries Mini.  
Bob - 
The question I was addressing was, "...to what device do you stream to get the best sound quality?"  My short answer could have been, "a DAC".  My reply had nothing to do with the best connector for signal transfer.  

Regardless of the potentially irrelevant, non-music purposes that USB cables have served, it is worth noting how many audio devices are now equipped with USB ports.  The article on USB/SPDIF converters at the link here is also worth reading: http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2013/07/when-should-you-use-an-external-usb-spdif-converter/   
As noted in the article and in my earlier response, these converters are not always essential with more recent implementations of USB mediated digital input.  Where a bus-powered converter is used, the issue of power related noise is easily addressed by using a two headed USB cable with separate leg for a non-computer power source.

I was certainly not attempting to argue USB was the best method for signal transfer, though it does seem to work just fine for me.  I only provided details of how I do it because, like you, I use a MAC product for streaming. If you are able to implement Cerrot's approach and enjoy a superior listening experience, wonderful.  I am curious how easy it would be to upgrade the  sound card on a Mac...might be a more attractive option on a Windows-based machine.  

Hope whatever you do enhances your music listening.   
ghosthouse,

Thank you for your reply.  I've been ripping my cds for the past month to an external hard drive attached to my Macbook air using dbpoweramp.

I have a Peachtree Grand Integrated that has onboard DACS and they go out to my beloved Quad 2805s.  It's a very simple system.  I also have a modest Cambridge transport that I use to play cds.

I've streamed a bit wirelessly using the MacBook and an Apple Airplay.  The quality was marginal at best. 

After reading your post I went to Staples and picked up a USB cable.  Even using that cheap ole' cable, the sound was much better.  Better enough that I gave Spotify a go.  Sounds okay.  Not great but okay.  And that's with their premium subscription.

I have a USB input on my amplifier, do you think an audiophile grade USB cable like your Pangea would get me closer to what I hear using cds and my transport? 

Thank you again,

Bob