Parasound Halo JC-1 for Thiel CS 5i

Hi,

I have a set of Thiel CS5i's that I am running with a W4S ST1000 amp.

Would Parasound Halo JC-1 mono amps be an improvement? Why?

Thanks,

Dsper

dsper
dsper

The W4S is rated at 40 amps. I also see that an older Krell FPB 300c was rated less than that.

Something is very wrong with what you saw or read, as there is no way the W4S could out current the Krell FPB 300c, especially into 4-2ohm loads, where it counts with the OP’s speakers.

Where did you see this? If these were figures can you point to them?

I would hazard a guess that one was "peak" amps and the other was "rms" amps at the very least.

PS: As the next Krell up "350c" I found can do
" Specified power is 350Wpc into 8 ohms, 700 big ones into 4, and a whopping 1400W into punishing 2 ohm loads."

These sorts of figures indicate massive current/amperage, and the 600c is much more. The WFS has no chance of doing these sort of figures.

PPS: I did find these figure on the 600c

"The FPB 600 could sustain a 29.3dBW level into this load, corresponding to 3,400Wpc—an extraordinary figure.

Driven on a toneburst equivalent to peak program duty at 8 ohms, it reached to touch the 1000W line, while at 4 ohms it attained 1850W, and for 2 ohms 3530W. And for 1 ohm—wait for it—an amazing 6000W!

Cheers George

Hi George,

Of course I cannot find the reference to which I referred in my earlier note.

However, googled the Krell web site and looked at the Krell Solo 575 Mono Power Amplifier featuring Krell iBias Technology. The output is listed as 575 W RMS at t 8 Ω and  900 W RMS at 4 Ω. The output current is listed at 22 A peak.

The W4S ST1000 is rated at 570W at 8 Ω and 1140W at 4 Ω with a maximum output current of 40A.

I am sure that there is some dissimilarity in the specs but any amp that can double into 4 ohms from 8 ohms cannot be  a slouch and simply run out of gas for 1 to 2 ohm loads. Or can it? And if so, why?

If the watts are there, you have to get the current, correct?

I am the OP on this thread and I can tell you that the W4S is powering the Thiel CS5i's with a lot of dynamics and texture in the bass. If there is a shortfall with the amp, it is probably in the treble where on certain CDs the high notes can get edgy. But then that could be the specific recording and not the amp.

For what it is worth, I use the same amp with my Maggie 3.6's which are not as bad a load as the Thiels. I am hearing a lot more resolution throughout the audio range with the Thiels over the Maggies with the same amp.

My thinking was the 135 amp peaks with the Parasound JC1's would do a better job on the bass. However, an earlier contributor to this thread suggests that the bass will not be  a lot different but the highs would be better with the JC1's. 

We all know the answer to this question will be for me to try some other amps and see what I like. Being on a budget limits my ability to get at the real high end stuff so.....!?

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Dsper

Dsper,

It's about more than just current and power.  I think until you have a chance to properly audition the JC1's you'll never be able to answer your question.

I've owned switching amps in the past, and was very impressed with them - but I haven't heard anything (within my budget) that wants me to replace my JC1's.

It's also not just about better highs or bass performance, it's about the whole.  The JC1's do everything very well, and do it in a cohesive manner.  It's hard to put into words, but easy to hear.

Can you audition a pair?

Here is a great new amp from Accuphase if you can afford it, that will drive those Theil’s without breaking a sweat. Not as cheap or as high wattage as the JC1’s but just as brutal with it’s ability to drive low impedances.

"Accuphase’s head of engineering, Masaomi Suzuki, introduced the company’s new P-7300 flagship class-A/B stereo power amplifier ($32,000). The amp outputs 125Wpc into 8 ohms. Its versatility extends to outputting 800Wpc into 1 ohm, which means that loudspeakers with challenging, amp-wilting impedance curves should not present insurmountable problems."

http://www.stereophile.com/content/all-way-accuphase-and-gauder-akustik

Cheers George