Parasound Halo JC-1 for Thiel CS 5i

Hi,

I have a set of Thiel CS5i's that I am running with a W4S ST1000 amp.

Would Parasound Halo JC-1 mono amps be an improvement? Why?

Thanks,

Dsper

dsper
Another fan of Thiel loudspeakers here as well. These things "crave" high-current in order to really open up nicely!
You might want to check with Parasound regarding 2 ohm loads. I believe the JC-1 is spec'd for 4 ohm loads minimum.

I am driving B&W 803Ds with a pair of JC-1s, and they have a minimum impedance of about 3 ohms. No problem with those, but 2 ohms is quite a bit lower.
I don't think the JC1's will have any problems with a 2 Ohm impedance swing.

"With continuous drive, the Parasound clipped at 545W into 8 ohms (27.4dBW)—way above the specified 400W. ("Clipping" is defined, as usual, as the power level where the measured THD figure reaches 1%, and is shown in fig.7 as the horizontal magenta line.) With a low-duty-cycle 1kHz toneburst more representative of music, the Halo was a powerhouse. Its clipping power increased by 0.3dB into 8 ohms, reaching 586.5W at 1% THD (27.7dBW, fig.7, black trace), with 1154W available into 4 ohms (27.6dBW, blue), 2255W into 2 ohms (27.5W, green), and no less than 4.2kW into 1 ohm (27.2dBW, magenta). The latter is equivalent to an output current of 64.7A!"

Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/content/parasound-halo-jc-1-monoblock-power-amplifier-measurements#GQwS4I...

The current was what caught my eye on the JC1's as they listed something like 135 amps for instantaneous peaks.

The W4S is rated at 40 amps. I also see that an older Krell FPB 300c was rated less than that.

Now , of course, I am not sure how to read and understand all this technical data and be able to compare continuous versus peak outputs.

However, you cannot have current without watts, so I suspect that alternatives to the W4S will be different in the higher frequency and not so much in the bass, which gets at one of the perceptions about class D.

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks,

Dsper