why do people feel the need to buy expensive cable

I have tried expensive cables and one's moderately priced. I would say there were some differences but I can't actually say the expensive cables were better. IMHO I believe a lot of people buy expensive cables because they don't actual trust their ears and are afraid of making a mistake. They figure the expensive cables are better for the fact they cost more. If you have a difference of opinion or share the same thoughts, I would like to hear about it.
taters
@nonoise. Point taken. I guess we should by and enjoy what we want and can hear. We all have opinions and different hearing. Enjoy your system as well as the other points of view on the thread. Hard to read for me too.
Well Taters , I use to live in the fantasy land myself. Believed / hoped by spending more money i would get better sound for many years . Sure am glad it did not take too long for the epiphany to happen . Some spend a life time in the "fantasy land"
"11-28-15: Nonoise
I have no doubt whatsoever with your findings, it's just the tone.

I actually wish I could afford to try the expensive cables out there."

If you live in the US, give The Cable Company a call. They'll send you a box full of whatever cables you want to demo.
It's not for money's sake that I settled on the cables I have. I tried just about every type of cable, cheap and more expensive than what I currently use....including Mogami. My decisions were based on performance only, given I have the ability to spend more than some, but as a rule, I do not overspend for jewelry factors. It is understood however that priorities can vary in individual systems.
Melbguy1, I haven't heard them but they actually sound like a successful designs that address real world issues in signal transfer. Enjoy!