Funniest Quote About Your Audio "Affliction"

When I was getting into the audio business and had gone to the extreme in wire it was pretty exciting to me to say the least. I had just got the best wire throughout my system I'd ever had, there were $3500 Aluminata power cords on both amps and the preamp, the new Electrocompaniet CD player had a Kaptovator as the Aluminata killed the life for some reason where the Kaptovator was just right. The sound stage, imaging, sense of space and detail was the best I'd ever heard.

I tell my wife she has to come in and hear one of her favorite songs at the time, Madonna's Frozen. So images were behind the back wall, in your face, two or three feet beyond side walls. She looks at me with a deadly serious expression and says that she doesn't like the way all these instruments and vocals are coming from all over the place, she likes the music to sound like it's coming from the speakers.

I was disgusted, I told her to get out of there, she was done. So first thing in the morning I called the owner of the cable manufacturer and told him about that, he laughed his butt off, we both did. He said that was just about the funniest thing he's ever heard about higher end audio, and asked if he could tell other people about it, I told him sure.
holygrailaudio
The first part where powercord was more expensive than the rest of components was much funnier.
Who said the wire was more than the components?

It was $18k in BAT VK-150se amps, $10k BAT VK-51se preamp, $80k speakers, $8k Electrocompaniet CD player....

The wire was a bargain in relation to what it brought to the table.
Aintitgr8
Who said the wire was more than the components?

It was $18k in BAT VK-150se amps, $10k BAT VK-51se preamp, $80k speakers, $8k Electrocompaniet CD player....

The wire was a bargain in relation to what it brought to the table.

For some reason Audiogon has recently become more hostile, particularly to any mention of premium audio cable or other tweaks. I thought that went away a couple of years ago when everyone realized good cable helps. It appears it has not.

Perhaps they are not supporting their belief or moved to one of the other two websites that are more focused on high end performance and discussions of same.
I think that Czarivey was refering to the mention of the Electrocompaniet CD player, which if you google it, costs $3500, being matched with a $3500 Aluminata power cord.

I see that the OP clarified that the cd player cost $8k. A $3500 power cord on an $8k cd player still seems a little high to me.

I'm not saying that wires don't matter, I'm just in the Nelson Pass camp on wires. He used to recommend only that the cables not cost more than the amp. That used to be considered audiophile humor, but some may not get the joke these days.

Now, to get back on topic, that is a very funny story and demonstrates why there are so few audiophiles and almost no female audiophiles. We're a rare breed.