Vandy quatro vs Vandy 5’s

I have a question, right now on a’gon are a used pair of quatros for $4700 and a used pair of vandy 5’s for $5400. Would you say the extra $700 for the 5’s would be worth it? How would you describe the difference in sound between the two? Thanks.

Joe in Mobile
magsterone
For what it's worth I have heard both Quatros wood and original and the 5's. I can't say what version of the 5's but in my opinion, spend the extra 700. I think the 5's are better in every aspect. The only better is the new 7.
And again my opinion, your ears need to be the final vote.

Size matters! Room size that is. Bigger needs bigger usually.

if the amp in use has no issues with either speaker system heed the above advice.

Otherwise.... I'd look at some other speakers myself.... and to be fair to yourself, you should.
I'm with Jim. I might look at some other things too, at those prices. (For example, the Gallo 3.5s now listed here.)

I've only compared the Quattro wood and 5A, but that makes me think, like the others, that the 700 w'd be well spent, if you're committed to used Vandys, and your room can handle the big 5s.

John
A slight variation on a common theme.

For this delta in price, the 5s seem like a better idea. OTOH, both of these speakers bark up substantially the same tree and - to my ear- sound quite similar, so long as:
the program material/room size does not require the 5's superior deep bass capability. That would be almost always, IME.

While the 5s do have other advantages over the Qs, the difference isn't dramatic and the latter are really very good speakers in their own right. So why not save the $?

Because the 5s at that price are a better deal. IMHO, if you can get the price on the Qs down about another $700-$1K, you'll have a real decision on your hands.

Marty
Shipping from Canada (Quatro's) vs New York (5's) !!!! At this price there are a pair of Wilson Sophia 1's in FL for $6000, I realize I'm prejudice but I did own 3A Sigs with a pair of 2Wq's, a combo that is very similar to the 5's before I bought the Sophia 1's.