Unable to audition used speakers a problem

One component I will not buy unless I can audition the item for sale are speakers. This severely limits available candidates, but that is OK with me. The problem is that whenever I find a local pair I would consider purchasing, the seller is unable to allow an audition because "they're boxed up". What's up with that? Wouldn't it make more sense to leave them connected or ready to be connected for at least a few weeks after they're listed for sale? Why box and seal them up before placing the ad? Does anyone else find this a problem or am I just being overly prudent?
rockadanny
Thanks to all. All good points. This gives me a different perspective and is very helpful. Space issues, spouse issues, tire kickers, etc. I agree.
Whether or not the seller is willing to unbox and demo the speakers for a prospective buyer falls under the heading "terms of sale". He may find that his policy works out just fine or he may learn that lots of people feel as you do.
Either way, I see it more as his problem than yours.....if it's a problem at all.
99% of the sales are sight and sound un-seen, un-heard.. Just the way the used market works.. Most of the time there is Zero optimal way for someone to hook up where they are going to sound correct, or even with the right equipment anyway..

Unfortunatley this is the built in risk for you wanting to save 50% or more on a used purchase in the first place... Most definatley people better have a pretty good idea of what they are really looking for or have previously heard such items as speakers before trying to purchase if possible, I mean I know many will never be heard, and your just forced to jump in and buy, this is a big issue with a big item like a speaker just in size, mostly though Preamps, amps, Front end components etc... are just something you have to take a chance and re-sell if not happy in your configuration, because you setup is likely to sound extremly different then some half baked quick hook up in somebodys garage to just prove to you they work still. Very rare to find somebody able to give an actual audition, and even rarer to find them in state, unless your living in California, then it seems you can just about find anything within 200 miles if they are willing to let you get a session!

Also I have seen many times people Have ZERO ambition to actually buy, they find an ad used, and say.. Oh man I wanted to hear this, but I never got a chance, lets see if I can B.S. my way to have somebody feel I am half serious, get them to set back up and let me see if I even feel these are worth anything to me, and then leave them in the cold with a "I'll get back to you in a few days." Then they go back on the net and find the better deal, or even the next line up or color they really wanted, or something completley different... Again this is not great but how it works, because even if you can perfectly prove this is as good as it sounds right there in person to somebody, even if they love the sound, guess what happens??? In their mind now you have just given them an excuse to worry about well now I need to know what this one can do and if its even better value.. It is impossible to sell this way on the used market, and I for the most part unless its really easy or necessary to do business this way would stay as far away from this scenario as possible, and just take the easy route of sale and ship out of state, let them figure out what they are doing wrong or right, or how much they are willing to put into getting the sound right in their environment, otherwise its the "Sh*t, or get off the Pot" syndrom that we all end up with in these cases... Maybe not all the time, but with speakers especially this could kill more sales than it could create, especially in the higher price brackets, if they were cheap enough than you would think they are good enough, but nobody knows why a 20 k speaker should really sound better, and they honestly in most cases don't.
The real key is to buy good used speakers at excellent prices. That way you can essentially audition them for free. Buy the speakers, listen for a few weeks or months, and if they don't suit simply turn around and sell them for exactly what you paid. There may be a bit of hassle involved, but since you can get an extended in-home audition this way, in the long run you win. Happy listening!
In the used market you often do your research and by without auditioning. That's the way it happens. When selling I usually often end up packing speakers up ahead of time because I may have a new pair in house. I really don't like to have people I don't know coming to my home to audition and my wife would really have a big problem with this. You never know who is walking across your threshold.