Hi end audio who cares

During the holidays i had alot of people over my house.
MY wife would insist that i play my stereo for these
people,why i do not know.

Here are some comments that i got(is that a bose)
(We have panasonic at home,we justlove it)
(how much you pay for all that stuff)
(why do you need such big speakers)

I did not one comment such as(wow thatsounds great)
Next time we have company i am hiding the power cords!
taters
I lived with a guy for 4 years, and he could never understand that there was a difference in sound between his Technics system and my NAD system. In Particular he would ask me all the time, why in the world would I pay that much for a single disc player, when i could get a 400 disc changer from Tecnics for the same price.

Now that I've got my Maggies, and the system is in my living room instead of my (small) bedroom, he is finally able to appreciate the beauty of better equipment. I think I have a convert. Good luck to his girlfriend.
I have found that the only one who cares about my systems sound is me and ultimately what others think is meaningless.Just because everyone can hear the music does mean everyone can HEAR the music.Hedonists unite!
Everytime my uncle vist me he goes into my music room and ask if my speakers are Bose. What this shows me is Bose knows how to market it's product. Until the "high-end" market take notice our hobby will never be beyond a few people. High-End audio really isn't any difference then buying an expensive car or motocycle or ring or watch or whatever. It comes down to marketing your product.
Here's some other comments for ya. Can you relate?
Wow, how loud can that baby play?
How many watts?
Man is that clear.
Can you play that louder?
How much does that cost?
$1000 for speaker wires! You're insane.
I have Crown and JBL. What do you think of that?
Great bass!
Where's your bass and treble control?
You leave it on all the time? Man, that must cost you a fortune? You're not going to blow your amp out?

Just some of the reasons why I don't play my stereo for anyone anymore, unless I have to. I have had my share of acceptable comments, but the one I like best is, after listening to whatever I put on:
with a big fat smile and twinkle in those amazed eyes the words, "this sounds awesome" simply does it for me.
warren
If it's 'normal' people, I won't fire the system up. I wouldn't even if my wife asked. It's just a waste. The great unwashed just don't get it. Your wife probably asked because she's hoping that these comments will 'help' you give up the hobby. The only folks I let listen to my rig are my immediate family and audiophile friends. The former think it sounds as good as a sony boombox, the latter think it's as good as they've heard. Go figure.
I do it for myself, no one else. So I'm crazy, so what.

Regards,
John