Hi end audio who cares

During the holidays i had alot of people over my house.
MY wife would insist that i play my stereo for these
people,why i do not know.

Here are some comments that i got(is that a bose)
(We have panasonic at home,we justlove it)
(how much you pay for all that stuff)
(why do you need such big speakers)

I did not one comment such as(wow thatsounds great)
Next time we have company i am hiding the power cords!
taters
Taters,

Long ago I began using the same answer about why I owned a Harley when people would ask insulting questions about my audio affliction: "If I have to explain, you can't possibly understand". Once in awhile you will greet someone at your door that has an appreciation for some of the better things this life has to offer. Most people are an inch deep and a mile wide. The rest of them either are audiophiles, drag racers, flyfishermen or photographers. Want to guess what my passions are? He he.

Patrick
It's frustrating ... all the time, money, & energy expended to assemble a great system and like who cares ... other than you? I am torn between two reasons why it is this way (btw, I am also open to any others):

Reason #1:

When I growing up in the 70's ... owning your own kick-ass stereo was almost as important as having your own car. There was an acknowledgement of the power of music as a change agent in both our lives and the culture, in general. Music spoke to what was going on in the world. I don't sense it is this way today.

Reason #2

Reasonably good sound is so readily available ... good sound is now nothing special.

As Don McLean would say ... "do you believe in rock n roll, can music change your mortal soul, and can you teach me how to dance real slow?"

Regards, Rich
I lived with a guy for 4 years, and he could never understand that there was a difference in sound between his Technics system and my NAD system. In Particular he would ask me all the time, why in the world would I pay that much for a single disc player, when i could get a 400 disc changer from Tecnics for the same price.

Now that I've got my Maggies, and the system is in my living room instead of my (small) bedroom, he is finally able to appreciate the beauty of better equipment. I think I have a convert. Good luck to his girlfriend.
I have found that the only one who cares about my systems sound is me and ultimately what others think is meaningless.Just because everyone can hear the music does mean everyone can HEAR the music.Hedonists unite!
Everytime my uncle vist me he goes into my music room and ask if my speakers are Bose. What this shows me is Bose knows how to market it's product. Until the "high-end" market take notice our hobby will never be beyond a few people. High-End audio really isn't any difference then buying an expensive car or motocycle or ring or watch or whatever. It comes down to marketing your product.